Unable to link *any* Dropbox folder to Path Finder

strangetales

12 Jan, 2018 04:49 PM

This has come up in various ways in the past but I'm not sure if it has come up in this way. I have a personal dropbox and a business dropbox.

Under preferences, Path Finder lists the folder path as /Users/~/Dropbox

There is no longer a folder with that name on my computer; there are two folders, one of which is located at /Users/~/Dropbox (Personal) and one of which is at /Users/~/Dropbox (business name).

I have tried unlinking and re-linking to no avail. It is not possible to change the names of these root folders within Dropbox, so now there is no way for me to link any Dropbox account to Path Finder. Is there some way to fix this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Jan, 2018 04:54 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Please make sure to set up the integration according to the article:
    http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/features-and-development/dropbox-in...

As it mentions, if you have multiple Dropbox accounts, you need to link Path Finder to the account your installed Dropbox application is linked to. If you link to some other account, the integration WILL NOT work.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Jan, 2018 04:54 PM.

3. strangetales re-opened this discussion on 12 Jan, 2018 05:06 PM

4. 2 Posted by strangetales on 12 Jan, 2018 05:06 PM

That doesn't help. Dropbox allows both accounts to be linked to the Dropbox app: Under Preferences/Account for Dropbox, there are tabs for Personal and [business name].

More to the point, though, Path Finder is saying that it has identified a folder path which is non-existent. There is no folder at Users/~/Dropbox -- there is only Users/~/Dropbox (Personal) and Users/~/Dropbox (business name).

I've tried unlinking Dropbox in Path Finder, but Path Finder still shows the non-existent folder path. When I've tried to relink, Path Finder brings me to the API authorization screen shown below (from your demo) but there is a tab that lets me choose which Dropbox to link to. Regardless of whether I choose Dropbox (Personal) or Dropbox (business name), Path Finder continues to show the same non-existent folder path.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Jan, 2018 05:59 PM

Hi, 

Could you please specify, does Dropbox integration work fine in Finder? 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Jan, 2018 05:59 PM.

7. strangetales re-opened this discussion on 12 Jan, 2018 06:57 PM

8. 4 Posted by strangetales on 12 Jan, 2018 06:57 PM

Yes, it does work with Finder. Finder is linked to my business account, which is my preference. If I right-click on any folder in my business dropbox from within Finder, I am able to "Share," "Copy Dropbox Link," or "View on Dropbox.box." For files, I am also able to choose "Manage Access," "Version History," "View Comments," or "Smart Sync."

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Jan, 2018 07:06 PM

Hi, 

May I ask you to follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Delete Path Finder and its traces according to the article: 
      http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...
    2. Download the latest version of the app from our site
    3. Copy zipped app to the Applications folder
    4. Unzip it into the Apps folder and launch

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Jan, 2018 07:06 PM.

11. strangetales re-opened this discussion on 13 Jan, 2018 11:24 PM

12. 6 Posted by strangetales on 13 Jan, 2018 11:24 PM

I did all of that. The issue still persists -- no contextual menus for Dropbox in Path Finder.

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jan, 2018 03:19 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please also follow this instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

2. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 03:19 PM.

15. strangetales re-opened this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 06:17 PM

16. 8 Posted by strangetales on 14 Jan, 2018 06:17 PM

The Terminal command xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app" returned two results:
    com.apple.quarantine
    com.dropbox.attributes
    I ran this command:
    xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"
    And then quit and relaunched Path Finder; still no Dropbox links. I then re-ran xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app" to confirm that it was still outputting com.dropbox.attributes; when I saw that it was, I ran this command:
    xattr -d com.dropbox.attributes /Applications/"Path Finder.app"
    That produced a clean result for xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"
    I quit Path Finder and relaunched it again; still no Dropbox links in the contextual menus. I then unlinked and relinked Dropbox in Path Finder/Preferences/Features, and then quit and relaunched Dropbox again; still no contextual links.

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 09:58 PM.

18. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 09:58 PM

19. 9 Posted by strangetales on 18 Jan, 2018 07:38 PM

I'm not sure why this discussion was closed -- in my last message, I described how the suggested terminal fix did not solve the problem. I'm still trying to successfully link Dropbox to Path Finder.

20. Support Staff 10 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Jan, 2018 07:46 PM

Hi, 

The forum is integrated with our CRM system. The discussion was closed but instantly re-opened right after. 

Unfortunately, there is nothing else I can suggest in this particular case. 
    We will need to wait until our developers get a chance to investigate this. 
    It may take some time since they are quite busy now. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2018 07:46 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jan, 2018 07:47 PM

23. 11 Posted by strangetales on 18 Jan, 2018 09:08 PM

OK -- will I be notified after they look into it or should I check back in at some point?

24. Support Staff 12 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Jan, 2018 09:12 PM

Hi,

I will get back to you, in case it's a personal fix. (You will receive a notification)
    Otherwise, expect a fix in further versions of PathFinder. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jan, 2018 09:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac