High CPU usage in High Sierra

chrisbccanada

04 Jan, 2018 10:00 PM

Hi There

I also have this issue:

http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/86776-high-cpu-us...

I tried to post to the issue above but it won't let me as it says no more comments allowed because its closed.

I tried your suggestion of changing and preview or info modules to other ones in the list and that did help. Still got very high CPU usage.

Maybe this has something to do with the option 'Hide Finders desktop' under finder in preferences? I keep disabling that and each time I restart path finder its set again. I noticed that my desktop icons start flashing if I leave path finder running which is why I tried to turn this option off.

I also see an option to Enable bug reporter. I can do that and send you the file if you tell me where it goes.

Thanks
Chris

1. 1 Posted by chrisbccanada on 04 Jan, 2018 10:02 PM

I have Path Finder 7.6.2 (1729) installed and I am running High Sierra 10.13.2

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Jan, 2018 07:26 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Jan, 2018 07:27 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 05 Jan, 2018 07:27 PM

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for trying that on your side. 

Unfortunately, it's quite challenging to fix the CPU usage. 
    But, obviously, our developers are working on a solution. 

Let's try to fix being unable to disable "Hide Finder's Desktop".  
    Please follow the instruction and check if it makes any difference: 

1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

2. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Jan, 2018 07:27 PM.

6. chrisbccanada re-opened this discussion on 05 Jan, 2018 07:43 PM

7. 3 Posted by chrisbccanada on 05 Jan, 2018 07:43 PM

Hi Jordan

I have followed the steps below as suggested. The app was in quarantine and the command fixed that issue so its no longer like that.

However I still have the same issue whereby when I take off that option to Hide finders Desktop, it doesn’t save the setting and it comes back on next time I start up PathFinder.

Thanks
    Chris

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jan, 2018 02:45 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Jan, 2018 02:46 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac