Path Finder 6 fails to start on High Sierra

Padraig

20 Dec, 2017 10:11 PM

After I upgraded to High Sierra, my Path Finder 6 failed to start (well, it looks like the process is running ok, but no window gets created). Is this a known issue?

1. 1 Posted by Padraig on 20 Dec, 2017 10:13 PM

Edit: I tried the remove and reinstall option here:
    http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/how-...

But it didn't help things.

I know High Sierra isn't on the list of supported OSes for PF6, but I still expect it to start.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Dec, 2017 03:38 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Dec, 2017 03:39 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Dec, 2017 03:39 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Unfortunately, we can't optimize legacy versions of PathFinder for newer macOS. 
    At least for the time while our developers need to deal with major issues in PathFinder 7. 

Should you decide to use your PF6 key to upgrade to PF7, please carefully follow the steps outlined in this knowledge base article:
    http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/purchasing-upgrading-and-registrati...

Sorry for the inconvenience. Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Dec, 2017 03:39 PM.

6. Padraig re-opened this discussion on 26 Dec, 2017 01:51 PM

7. 3 Posted by Padraig on 26 Dec, 2017 01:51 PM

Hi,
    I disagree with this. I paid for Path Finder 6, and now it's stopped working completely. Surely this is a higher priority than presumably more-minor PF7 bugs.

I can understand not fixing minor bugs in old versions, but when a product stops working completely, I think it should be given a higher priority. I'm a programmer myself and my guess is it's not a big thing to fix. None of my other apps stopped working on the upgrade to High Sierra (which indicates there was not a significant architectural change to the OS), Path Finder was the only one.

For someone who's paid for the product, I think it should be your duty to fix critical bugs like this, that break the entire product (more minor ones I can accept). I don't agree with the suggestion to upgrade to fix this bug, the user shouldn't be forced to upgrade because the product has stopped working. They should have the option to upgrade if they want to avail of the new features.

I suggest one of 3 options:
    * Fix the PF6 bug to get it operational again * Provide me free upgrade to PF7 if you're not willing to do this (I disagree with being forced to pay for it). * Refund me for PF6, if you're not willing to do either of the above.

Regards,
    Padraig

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 Dec, 2017 02:05 PM

Hi Padraig, 

Fair point. Here's your new PathFinder 7 license: 
    Name: Padraig Finnerty
    License key: PF7:GAWAE-FDTX3-BYTPU-8L2Q2-HUHY3-A7F9H-7FRW7-75XAC-CQ6JU-4F5FS-A2H6F-RJCNG-SRMDT-L4F2P-PNAQ-47UU1

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 Dec, 2017 02:05 PM.

10. Padraig re-opened this discussion on 13 Jan, 2018 11:08 PM

11. 5 Posted by Padraig on 13 Jan, 2018 11:08 PM

Awesome, thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll try to repay the favour on a future release.

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jan, 2018 03:00 PM

Hi Padraig,

We are glad to assist! Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 03:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac