Oldest version for El Capitan?

tdiaz

06 Dec, 2017 10:12 PM

What is the farthest back that I can go on El Capitan - pre 7.4.1? Perhaps some improvement can be realized by going backwards, because going forwards is just getting worse and worse.

Path Finder was a lot more responsive in the 10.7-10.9 era, and for the last few years has been taking a steady dive to molasses hell.

Especially with NAS access. It's absolutely dreadful. I've switched to NFS mounts because it's the least impacted by whatever lollygagging Path Finder is doing in the background.

Proof? - Run Midnight Commander in a terminal window, set it copying a rooted directory similar to an iTunes library, directory of sorted photos, etc. Quit Path Finder and watch the speed just pick up and fly. Launch Path Finder and throughput dies.

7.4.1 was not as bad as 7.5x but it's still got the creeping up issues.

Right now, it's nearing the uselessness that it was when ExpanDrive was clashing with it previously.

If it wasn't for Path Finder having the drag rectangle selection mode working "properly" in List View, I'd have already ditched it. TotalFinder, ForkLift and XtraFinder add enough extra to Finder now, granted a couple of those are a little bit of an issue for some people to install, but I'm fine with it. XtraFinder and ForkLift also do what ExpanDrive does, so thats another compelling reason to move on, let one take the place of two that are seemingly inefficient.

The other thing that keeps me with Path Finder is the functionality with the windows below the main window. (Hex editor, selectable preview types, chmod and the variable options when copying files.

The thing is, Finder used to be ridiculously sluggish with large amounts of files, but with the switch to X86 it got better and has improved several times over since then. Path Finder, OTOH, didn't flinch at that stuff. Now the tables have turned the other direction.

..and the CAPTCHAs? They're getting really annoying. Clicking on the pictures used to work quite well, now it's just an overgrown game of whack-a-mole.

Get a -REAL- discussion forum, stop this madness of trying to combine a ticket system with a discussion forum. "Cocoatech Support has Closed " .. "Opened ... " "Closed .. " this conversation. Enough of that! Don't even think about paid major upgrades unless performance has been addressed and well tested. Posting responses that basically say "We know, deal with it" is only driving more people away.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Dec, 2017 06:35 PM

Hi Tony, 

Unfortunately, we can no longer support legacy versions. 
    They are available via the link: http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/path...

PathFinder 7.4.1. is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw64ywf3fbafis2/PF_7.4.1_%281704%29.zip?dl=0

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker in Path Finder > Preferences > General. 

Sorry for the captchas, these are forced measures in order to prevent the forum from being sunk in spam. 

Thank you for the suggestions. Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Dec, 2017 06:35 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac