Sort by Date Added in List View does nothing

dtoub

10 Nov, 2017 09:42 PM

I added several files to a folder today. Sorting by Date Modified (by clicking the Date Modified column) works fine. Click Date Added: nothing happens at all. Also, clicking on the button for sorting in the Browser window does nothing, regardless of what I select.

Basically, sorting is not reliable. Please don't ask me to sample a process or uninstall and reinstall. That seems to be the default response these days. Please try to reproduce it however, and let me know. Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Nov, 2017 09:57 PM

Hi David, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

May I ask if you're using the "Smart Sorting" feature in your View Options? 
    Could you please disable it temporarily and check if it makes any difference? 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Nov, 2017 09:57 PM.

3. dtoub re-opened this discussion on 10 Nov, 2017 10:08 PM

4. 2 Posted by dtoub on 10 Nov, 2017 10:08 PM

Hi and thanks for the quick response. Yes, smart sorting was on, but even disabled, it doesn't make a difference. Sorting by Date Modified or Date Created change a few things but don't reverse sort. Sorting in the Finder seems fine. Just wanted to report this as it seems to be an issue. Thanks. Happy to send a movie if desired.

5. 3 Posted by dtoub on 10 Nov, 2017 10:21 PM

Turns out it does work, but is very delayed, depending on how big the folder is. So just a matter of speed it seems. Thanks!

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Nov, 2017 06:34 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Nov, 2017 06:35 AM

8. 4 Posted by jie.lv.mvp on 13 Jan, 2018 08:49 PM

the same problem.

Did you solve this issue and in which version?

thank you

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Jan, 2018 04:36 PM

Hi, 

Could you please provide me with additional details: 
    - Is sorting working slowly or not working at all for you?  - Have you tried disabling the Smart Sorting?  - Is it exclusive to the List View? 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jan, 2018 04:36 PM.

11. dtoub re-opened this discussion on 15 Jan, 2018 07:26 PM

12. 6 Posted by dtoub on 15 Jan, 2018 07:26 PM

I'm going to retract what I wrote above-it no longer works at all. Clicking on Date Created or Date Modified changes the sort nearly instantly. Clicking on Date Added does nothing, even after many minutes with folders that have a few hundred items. With only a handful of items, Date Added (sort by) works as expected. So clearly there is a limit in terms of the number of items in a folder. That should not be the case. In the Finder, it is instantaneous with the same folder with the same (652) number of items. And smart sorting has nothing to do with it.

Bugs abound I guess. I know there is a full, ground-up rewrite of the code coming (PF8) but clearly every time someone from Cocoatech mentions the release date of April, that is quickly accompanied by words to suggest this is pretty unlikely. So could we have a better estimate? I hope we don't have the same several months of poor communication as we had around the High Sierra compatibility release. I am probably just going to continue to stick with the Finder for now, which is pretty sad given how many years I and others have been using PF and happily paid for updates. If there are no more bug fixes planned for 7.6, fine. Understood. But hoping that then permits a reliable PF 8 release. I don't even care about additional functionality apart from perhaps better support for APFS. I just want PF to work reliably again. Thanks.

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 Jan, 2018 08:10 PM

Hi David,

With your additional details, I will investigate this (the sorting case) and file a bug report, if this becomes reproducible with an exact pattern. 

The rewrite is indeed coming. 
    It's challenging to track down and fix some of the issues in a complex software, such as PathFinder. 

The words you mentioned, that accompany the release date, are never meant to add the unlikeliness. 
    But we have to use them so users understand that dates are always approximate. 
    This way, we've learned our lesson with the High Sierra optimization and do our best to avoid failing your expectations. 

I hope this clarifies the situation. I assure you that we all want PathFinder to work reliably. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Jan, 2018 08:10 PM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Jan, 2018 08:17 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac