High CPU usage still here, High Sierra, v7.6.2 (1729)

desperex

09 Nov, 2017 11:10 AM

Hi,
the issue didn't go away with last update, CPU running @200%,
attaching sample.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 Feb, 2018 07:09 AM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Feb, 2018 07:09 AM

3. 31 Posted by tbouttell on 24 Feb, 2018 06:51 AM

Well... I was about to get pretty upset,
    I had the same issues everyone else is having
    I don't use tags and still had Coreservices and Pathfinder sucking up the cpu and my battery.
    Then i pressed the "Restore All defaults" bar and Bang!! all is back to normal
    Has anyone else tried this?
    I might Dick around and see if I can reproduce the problem,just too see if I can narrow down the cause.
    But it's been an hour now and my load average is about 1.73 and is pretty stable
    I'm using IOS 10.13.3 and PF 7.6.2 (1729)

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2018 02:29 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Feb, 2018 02:29 PM

6. 32 Posted by iiiwsr on 25 Feb, 2018 02:42 AM

I have this same issue, been going on for the entirety since High Sierra. Exceptionally frustrating high CPU usage, usually 150%. Comes and goes. Fan spins loudly owing to high CPU usage.

I've tried all the things on this thread including reinstalling Pathfinder, not sorting by date, I am not using tags, etc. and to no avail.

PF is fine when it starts but it randomly creeps up the CPU usage until fans spin.

Running PF 7.6.2 and 10.13.3. Was a problem with .2 and .1 MacOS as well.

I think my previous post was deleted, which is worrisome. I have already evaluated PF's competitors, free and pay, and frankly, I just want PF to work. The alternatives all appear to be weak subsets of all that PF has. PF is the best Finder replacement IMHO and we just need this very serious bug resolved ASAP. It renders PF unusable. Using Finder is like playing with preschool toys compared to PF...

DEV: what can we sent you to help you solve the issue?

I wouldn't be posting a 2nd time if I'd found PF's competition to be worthy...

Thank you,

Rob

7. 33 Posted by tbouttell on 25 Feb, 2018 03:28 AM

Well, this is interesting.
    After I reset my view, I found that "Restore all Defaults" it only reset the view of whatever window was open.
    When ever i switched to a Windows that contained a previous setting the issue returned.
    I went through every screen I had custom setting for, and reset them all.
    The Pathfinder process hasn't been about 19% since. And now it only spikes when I change focus from the Pathfinder screen, (and by spike I mean the cpu briefly goes above 19%)
    Now I'm actively trying to reproduce the problem

8. 34 Posted by tbouttell on 25 Feb, 2018 04:53 AM

In my case, I'm pretty sure it has to do with "Calculate all Sizes" and turning on "All Windows"
    When I turned on "Calculate all Sizes" Core services went to 89-100 % for a few minutes while the OS calculates folder sizes, which is expected. The Core Services process dropped back to nothing, when that was done. When I switched to a new window, Core Services spiked again, but never stopped. I had to stop PF. when I restarted PF the cpu spiked again, but only while the sizes were calculated for the first screen. When I switched to another PF window, the CPU spiked again, and never dropped.
    So, in my case, Turning on "Calculate all Sizes" and having "All Windows" turned on was causing the cpu issue.
    I have a 750GB SSD drive, 3/4 full with about 3 million files. Disks with more files would probably have a larger impact.
    I hope this helps a few people, at least

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 25 Feb, 2018 03:02 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 25 Feb, 2018 03:02 PM

11. 35 Posted by Alan Harper on 07 Mar, 2018 12:14 AM

FWIW, I was having the same problem as others (coreservicesd taking 85% of one of my two cores, processor hot & fan on maximum). I turned off "Calculate all sizes" and voilá, the problem has gone away.

Note, to do this in Path Finder
    * Close all windows * Choose Show View Options (⌘J) * Choose "Restore all defaults" at the bottom

Coreservicesd is now taking up 0% of a processor!

[Added later:] I just checked on a second computer, and while I have "Calculate all sizes" set on this computer, I am not having the runaway coreservicesd problem on it. Perhaps the problem lies in the disk format? The computer with the problem has an SSD, so has APFS file system, while the computer without the problem has a hybrid disk with the old HFS+ file system. (See comments above that others with this problem also have High Sierra + SSD, so probably have APFS file system too.)

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Mar, 2018 06:58 AM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 08 Mar, 2018 06:58 AM

14. 36 Posted by Jim Cook on 13 Mar, 2018 10:37 AM

Hi
    I'm having a similar but slightly different high CPU load problem, I'm posting here as it may be related.
    I'm having huge CPU load when running Path Finder and Dropbox.
    If I'm just running Dropbox there's no problem.
    Start Path Finder and CPU goes through the roof for both Dropbox and Path Finder.
    Closing Path Finder restores normality.
    Path Finder V7.6.2 (1729), Dropbox 44.4.58, High Sierra 10.13.3
    Regards
    Jim

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2018 10:38 AM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Mar, 2018 10:38 AM

17. 37 Posted by desperex on 19 Mar, 2018 06:49 PM

When I hear fans spinning up I know exactly what to do - close PF!
    Dev team, you gave up on the issue, I give up on PF - off my mac until it's resolved!
    It's time to move on!

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2018 07:17 AM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Mar, 2018 07:17 AM

20. 38 Posted by JJ de Jong on 30 Mar, 2018 02:34 PM

Hi,
    Same issue with me.
    I however noticed that the high CPU arises when an item is selected inside a DropBox folder. The DropBox icon in the taskbar then shows the selected item as being repeatedly synchronized. The issue occurs even when PF doesn't have the focus, but goes away when the DropBox folder is no longer visible in PF (by moving outside the DropBox folder, or moving to a tab not showing a DropBox folder).
    --JJJ

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2018 01:43 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 31 Mar, 2018 01:43 PM

23. 39 Posted by Joel DiGirolamo on 01 Apr, 2018 06:22 PM

I too am having the high CPU usage with Path Finder on two machines, a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both using 10.13.13. On both machines they will frequently run up the CPU usage very high and the iMac will usually cause a spinning beach ball once during the day, for about 5 minutes or so. It seems to have to do with Dropbox and quicklookd, but I can't find anything consistent that causes either phenomena.

24. 40 Posted by tbouttell on 01 Apr, 2018 06:33 PM

Have you turned off "Calculate all sizes"?
    You have to do it for all the PF windows, not just one.

25. 41 Posted by Joel DiGirolamo on 01 Apr, 2018 06:55 PM

I've never turned it on. From the attached image you can see that the folder sizes are not calculated.

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Apr, 2018 09:00 PM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 01 Apr, 2018 09:01 PM

28. 42 Posted by PeterN on 03 Apr, 2018 02:04 PM

Have the same problem like all the others. Extremely high memory usage when PF is open at High Sierra. Would really like to be able to use it like in the past. Hope to get an update soon...

29. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Apr, 2018 08:25 AM.

30. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Apr, 2018 08:26 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Path_Finder_sample_9.11.17.txt 1.82 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac