Folders in Google Drive File Stream (mounted volume) isn't shown as other folders

matax-reg

02 Nov, 2017 03:13 PM

Hi,

We use G Suite for businesses at work and since Google recently announced they would decommission Google Drive in favour of Google Drive File Stream I installed the new desktop app and removed the old one. In the old version the Google Drive integration was done as a folder within my users space but with the new app it mounts everything as a volume.

When I navigate within folders of my Google Drive volume it seems like PathFinder sometimes doesn't recognize that a folder is expandable so I only get to see an icon for the folder + name of the folder, but without the arrow to the left that allow me to fold/expand the folder contents. I'll attach an image showing how it looks like (the folder named "Images" includes several PNG files).

Another issue I've found is a similar matter in the favourites bar. I have shortcuts to "Projects" and "Project Management Group" folders (both located on Drive) and in the past it would show an arrow down indicating that there is folders beneath it but since changing to Drive File Stream it no longer shows the down arrow. I can still click on them and it expands to a list of folders and files so the functionality is still there. Please see the same attached images as mentioned earlier for a screenshot of this.

Is this an issue in Google Drive File Stream or PathFinder? I'm running the latest version of PathFinder (7.6.1) and I've tested both at home (running Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.6 and at work running Mac OS X High Sierra (latest update; cannot check right now what the exact version is).

Kind regards,
Mathias

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Nov, 2017 03:07 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for reaching out! 

Unfortunately, Path Finder hasn't been optimized for Google Drive File Stream yet. 

Could you send us a sample (a snapshot) of Path Finder process in a separate file - this will enable us to analyze what happens with the application. Here's how to get it: 

1. Open Path Finder and reproduce the problem.
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities folder.
    3. Select Path Finder in the process list. To help making a selection, type "Path Finder" in the Filter field.
    4. Click the Sample Process button in the toolbar - this will open a new window entitled "Sample of Path Finder" and a sample of the process is collected.
    5. Click Save and save the sample file.
    6. Close (Command-W) the Sample window opened in step 2.
    7. Send the sample file saved in step 5 to us.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Nov, 2017 03:07 PM.

3. matax-reg re-opened this discussion on 06 Nov, 2017 04:10 PM

4. 2 Posted by matax-reg on 06 Nov, 2017 04:10 PM

Hi Jordan,

Please find attached a sample of the PathFinder process. Today when I brought up PathFinder then the favourites was showing a drop down menu so it may be that some files have synced and that is why it now shows up correctly. Since I had only recently installed Drive File Stream I assumed it was synching the same folders as Drive was synching but it seems like I had to bring up Finder and select the folders that would be available offline. It may be that the Drive File Stream sync the file if I try to access them and that is why it seemed to work when I used the files while PathFinder didn’t see them.

It seems like Drive File Stream has done some Finder integration because when I right-click on a folder I get options for synching the folder:

Please let me know if you need any additional info from me. Thanks for looking into the issue!

Kind regards,
    Mathias

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Nov, 2017 04:15 PM

Hi Mathias, 

Thank you for your sample! 

I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time to investigate the details of the issue. 

Be sure to let us know should you have any further questions. 

Best Regards,
 Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Nov, 2017 04:15 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Nov, 2017 04:15 PM

8. 4 Posted by jzadra on 16 May, 2018 09:41 PM

Hi,

Could we get an update on GFS integration since it's been 6 months?

Thanks!

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 17 May, 2018 01:15 PM

Hi,

We will investigate available APIs for GFS services and possibilities to integrate them into PF, but that will take some time.
    Also, it's rather expected we wouldn't be able to achieve full functionality like working with native application as there is no public APIs provided by the developers. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 May, 2018 01:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac