PF Does Not Display Free Disk Space

john.meyer

29 Sep, 2017 07:57 PM

PathFinder has never IMHO displayed free space under a disk icon properly, considering local snapshots as eating up "free" space even though the space is available for storing my data. This was annoying in the past, but I could always get around it by turning off local snapshots with "tmutil disablelocal". With High Sierra and APFS, however, this is no longer possible, and now my laptop hard drive is showing a rapidly-dwindling free space number, leaving me no way to tell at a glance how much space I have available for storing new files.

I love PathFinder more than I can say and have been a loyal customer for many many years, so may I please implore you: at least give us an option to display free space as unused space + snapshot space. Please????

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 01 Oct, 2017 08:01 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out. 

Could you please specify, on what tab does it show the incorrect amount of free space? Is it on your Desktop under Disk's icon? 
    Also, does the amount of available space in PF differ from the one in regular Finder? 
    Would you like to count the space taken up by snapshots as available? 

I can add this as a feature suggestion. Let me know if I understand you correctly. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2017 08:01 AM.

3. john.meyer re-opened this discussion on 11 Oct, 2017 11:09 AM

4. 2 Posted by john.meyer on 11 Oct, 2017 11:09 AM

Hi Jordan, thanks for the quick reply. Attached please see three screenshots: (1) the Finder's display, showing 117GB of free space; (2) PathFinder's Base 10 display of the same disk, showing only 98.5GB of free space owing to PF's exclusion of local snapshots; (3) PathFinder's Base 2 display of the same disk, showing even less free space.

PathFinder should not be including local snapshot space as "used", since it is available any time I need it. I look at the "Free" number to find out how much space I have available to store new files and it should include the space taken up by local snapshots.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Oct, 2017 07:28 AM

Hi John,

Path Finder reports the real free space, local snapshots are excluded from it now. Some other users prefer to see the current implementation, however, we will surely consider switching to the Finder's way of showing the free space or provide alternatives.
    I have added your suggestions to the list of feature requests. Hopefully, the developer will find it possible to implement in the future cycles.

Best Regards,
    Jordan,
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2017 07:28 AM.

7. john.meyer re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2017 09:10 AM

8. 4 Posted by john.meyer on 13 Oct, 2017 09:10 AM

Thanks for putting in the feature request, Jordan.

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2017 05:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac