Why does Path Finder force use of 'smart quotes' in file/folder names? This is a problem!

chris

13 Aug, 2017 09:00 AM

When you create/re-name a file or folder in Path Finder using the normal mechanism (clicking on the item so the name becomes highlighted and editable) then in any text that you type Path Finder converts regular single and double quotes into extended UFT-* 'smart quotes'.

For example, the single quote is ascii 0x27 but when types in Path Finder in a file/foler name it gets encoded as UFT-8 code e2 80 99. Same for double quotes; 0x27 -> e2 80 9d.

While this may perhaps look more aesthetically pleasing it can cause all sorts of unexpected issues and in some cases actual problems.

Since Finder does not do this I do not think that Path Finder should do it either, or at least it should be an option which has to be explicitly enabled. I haven't been able to d=find such an option anywhere...

Does anyone know of an option to disable this undesired behaviour? If not then I would suggest that this is a bug...

1. 1 Posted by chris on 13 Aug, 2017 09:07 AM

After more investigation it seems that Path Finder is respecting a system level setting (see attachment). However since Finder explicitly overrides this setting and smart quotes in file/folder names are generally not such a great idea maybe Path Finder should do the same, at least by default?

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 05:08 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 05:09 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Aug, 2017 05:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your emails and for investigating the issue thus far. Your suggestion makes sense, I have forwarded your email to our developers. It may take some time for us to react, the developer is extremely busy with Path Finder 8 release which we expect to roll out this Fall.

Once we do, we will get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
    Eugene,
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 05:09 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 05:10 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac