PathFinder 7.3.1 and tabs

moof74

14 Jan, 2016 11:03 AM

Is it possible to duplicate a tab in PathFinder? I can't find the feature anywhere. Previously I was using XtraFinder and one neat feature was to be able in the preferences to ask XtraFinder by default to duplicate the current selected tab when hitting command-T to open a new tab. Very neat and powerful.

I'd love to have that in PathFinder too.

Thanks

Nicolas

1. 1 Posted by Ted Iskendeiran on 15 Jan, 2016 12:16 AM

I agree. I migrated from Total Finder and this feature would be most welcome.

2. 2 Posted by fssbob on 15 Jan, 2016 11:32 PM

I also migrated from Total Finder and used that feature heavily. Would love to see it added.

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2016 03:16 PM.

4. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 30 Jan, 2016 03:20 PM

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 30 Jan, 2016 03:20 PM

Hi Nicolas,

I apologize for this inconvenience. 
    Could you please provide me with a screenshot and a detailed explanation, so I can get a better understanding of what exactly you mean by that and the way it works in TotalFinder?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Victor 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jan, 2016 03:20 PM.

7. Iskenderian, Ted (355M) re-opened this discussion on 31 Jan, 2016 02:47 AM

8. 4 Posted by Iskenderian, Te... on 31 Jan, 2016 02:47 AM

I uninstalled Total Finder so can’t show you precisely, but the same feature is available in tabbed browsers, like Safari. Here are two screenshots from using the “Duplicate Tab Button” extension in Safari:
    [cid:A31A16A1-E913-4859-8C4D-B20BA1E089D3]

[cid:0AF282EC-34B1-4CE7-BA36-F4ACC15BE138]
    --
    Ted Iskenderian

From: Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Reply-To: "[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>" <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Date: Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 7:20 AM
    To: Ted Iskenderian <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Subject: Cocoatech Support

Subject: PathFinder 7.3.1 and tabs

Hi Nicolas,

I apologize for this inconvenience.
    Could you please provide me with a screenshot and a detailed explanation, so I can get a better understanding of what exactly you mean by that and the way it works in TotalFinder?

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Victor
    Path Finder Support Team

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/37536-pathfinder-731-and-tabs

---

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

9. 5 Posted by fssbob on 03 Feb, 2016 06:41 PM

Actually, I just discovered that Path Finder has a way of accomplishing the same thing. As long as you have Display Path Navigator enabled, you can right or control-click on the entry for the currently open tab and then choose "Open in Tab". Path Finder then opens a duplicate of the current tab.

That meets my needs as well as the Total Finder feature did.

10. 6 Posted by Iskenderian, Te... on 03 Feb, 2016 07:06 PM

Thanks!

--
    Ted Iskenderian

Reply-To: "[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>" <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Actually, I just discovered that Path Finder has a way of accomplishing the same thing. As long as you have Display Path Navigator enabled, you can right or control-click on the entry for the currently open tab and then choose "Open in Tab". Path Finder then opens a duplicate of the current tab.

View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/37536-pathfinder-731-and-tabs

---

11. 7 Posted by Iskenderian, Te... on 03 Feb, 2016 07:08 PM

Here is a pretty good alternative:

---

--
    Ted Iskenderian

From: Path Finder <[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]>>
    Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM
    Subject: Path Finder Support

12. 8 Posted by Nima on 10 Feb, 2016 08:57 AM

I would be the next one who request for this feature.

Simply, I want to have an option to duplicate the current tab. This is supported in Finder as you can see it here: http://superuser.com/questions/666762/how-do-you-duplicate-current-...

Note that having a shortcut for this feature is crucial. Because using a mouse, you can follow fssbob solution.

Regards,
    Nima

13. 9 Posted by fssbob on 10 Feb, 2016 04:24 PM

Note that if you don't have a mouse, you can use "control-click" on the entry for the currently open tab and then choose "Open in Tab".

14. 10 Posted by Iskenderian, Te... on 10 Feb, 2016 04:28 PM

Huh? "control-click” without a mouse? And this does not duplicate a tab; I think it opens a folder within a tab in a new tab

--
    Ted Iskenderian

Date: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Note that if you don't have a mouse, you can use "control-click" on the entry for the currently open tab and then choose "Open in Tab".

---

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Feb, 2016 11:05 AM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Feb, 2016 11:09 AM

17. 11 Posted by eugenesv on 13 Aug, 2017 01:05 PM

This is still the major annoyance with Path Finder for me as there is no shortcut to open a new tab in the current path (instead of the default Home path). It's much more convenient for me to navigate from where I currently am rather than from a predefined folder (to which I anyway have a very convenient shortcut, e.g. ⌘1).
    Any chance of adding such a keyboard-configurable option (I don't want to click on the breadcrumb to achieve this)?
    Thank you!

18. Support Staff 12 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Aug, 2017 03:25 PM

Hi Eugene!

You can create keyboard shortcuts in Path Finder in Preferences > Features > Keyboard

As far as I understand you, there is your desired option under File > Open > Open in Tab. It won't open the current path in a new tab, but it can open the highlighted folder in a new tab.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.
    If it does not, we would appreciate a detailed description so that we could file a feature request properly what in turn will increase its chances to be implemented.

Best Regards,
    Eugene,
    Path Finder Support Team

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 03:25 PM.

20. eugenesv re-opened this discussion on 13 Aug, 2017 04:24 PM

21. 13 Posted by eugenesv on 13 Aug, 2017 04:24 PM

I'm already using this shortcut, but it's not the same — it's not universal as I have to be aware, whether a folder is selected or not (and it's not always the case as I can be just working with files).
    I'm not sure how much more details you need besides: "please add an option to make New Tab command open current path instead of Starting Directory". Please let me know if something is not clear/not detailed enough, would be happy to clarify as this is the only remaining major annoyance with PF for me, so would love to see it fixed.

22. Support Staff 14 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 16 Aug, 2017 06:11 AM

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for these suggestions! I have forwarded them to our developer for consideration so that they could be implemented in one of our future cycles.

Thanks for your continued support of Path Finder!

Best regards,
    Steven,
    Path Finder Support Team

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Aug, 2017 06:11 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac