PF7.3: "Places" list in sidebar is shown empty in PF, in OSX Finder it is full with items

Stefan

20 Nov, 2015 08:35 AM

The Places list in the left sidebar is shown empty in Path Finder 7.3. The heading is shown, but without elements.
(Other empty list like "favorites" is not shown)

In PF 7.2.1 - before the update - in the sidebar under Places the same elements like in the OS X Finder were shown.

In OSX Finder the section is full with items.

Seems to be a severe bug in PF7.3.

The problem persists also after restarting PF.

In the Console I see the following PF related messages after the restart.

20.11.15 09:20:10,981 Path Finder[59972]: -[NTColorStore checkedValue:withClass:forID:outIsDefault:] value wrong class
20.11.15 09:20:10,998 Path Finder[59972]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_MEMORYSTATUS] add: "Operation not supported" - 0x2d
20.11.15 09:20:12,365 Path Finder[59972]: [WARNING] DropboxSDK: error making request to /1/metadata/dropbox/.dropbox.cache - (404) Path '/.dropbox.cache' not found

20.11.15 09:20:12,601 Path Finder[59972]: [WARNING] DropboxSDK: error making request to /1/metadata/dropbox/.dropbox.cache - (404) Path '/.dropbox.cache' not found

1. 1 Posted by paul on 20 Nov, 2015 01:46 PM

I've seen the same situation. If I switch the sidebar to Lion, the standard places are there (with color icons) but choosing Standard shows nothing.

2. 2 Posted by larry on 20 Nov, 2015 05:18 PM

I'm having the same issue. I created a custom sidebar (which I think is what paul was referring to as Lion) and indeed most of the standard places do show up ... with the exception of iCloud Drive. This shows in the Finder sidebar. I've tried toggling it off and on via the Finder preferences, and also from System Preferences, but no joy. Any thoughts on how to get it back?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 21 Nov, 2015 05:58 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry to hear this.

In order for me to best assist you, could you specify the following information:
    1. What is the exact version of Path Finder that you currently have (including the build)?
    2. What is the version of your Operating System?
    3. Could you send us a screenshot or a screen recording so that we could see the issue in more details?

Also, if some of you do not have some section at all in PF, then just click the gear icon in the bottom left, go to Hide Section - and select that section.

Concerning iCloud Drive, you would need to take a few short steps in the system preferences in order to achieve full iCloud Drive integration in Path Finder as described in the article:
    http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/iclo...

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Joel
    Path Finder Support Team

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Nov, 2015 05:58 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 23 Nov, 2015 07:59 AM

6. 4 Posted by igmar on 23 Nov, 2015 10:53 AM

I see :

23/11/15 11:52:38,311 Path Finder[74208]: -[NTColorStore checkedValue:withClass:forID:outIsDefault:] value wrong class
    23/11/15 11:52:38,335 Path Finder[74208]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_MEMORYSTATUS] add: "Operation not supported" - 0x2d
    23/11/15 11:52:39,601 Path Finder[74208]: [WARNING] DropboxSDK: error making request to /1/metadata/dropbox/.dropbox.cache - (404) Path '/.dropbox.cache' not found
    23/11/15 11:52:40,174 Path Finder[74208]: [WARNING] DropboxSDK: error making request to /1/metadata/dropbox/.dropbox.cache - (404) Path '/.dropbox.cache' not found

when I open Path Finder

7. 5 Posted by igmar on 23 Nov, 2015 10:57 AM

This is Path Finder 7.3 build 1694. OSX 10.11.1
    Screenshot attached.

I have debugger tools installed, so in case that might help to track the issue, I'd be happy to use them.

8. 6 Posted by igmar on 23 Nov, 2015 11:25 AM

And it only applies to the default sidebar : Creating a new one instantly gives me the places from finder.

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dragan on 23 Nov, 2015 04:02 PM

Hi everyone following this thread. A couple of facts first:

1.. Version 7.3 hasn't changed anything in this functionality, it's most probably system issue, so instead reverting back to older version, I'd appreciate if you read further and help us identify why this happens (as we couldn't reproduce it).

2. The lists of items in the 'PLACES" and "RECENT DOCUMENTS" in the sidebar are system shared lists and we use particular API to get them. If you don't see anything there, then probably something got wrong in the API call. Read further to help us identify this.

3. If you see no items in the 'PLACES", I'd like to know if you see any in the "RECENT DOCUMENTS" section. If not, does a new item appears there when you open some document (can be anything, a text file, an image, etc.)?

4. As a workaround, you can create custom sidebars (as many as you like, with different contents and items arrangement). The only thing is the "PLACES' in those custom sidebars aren't sync with Apple Finder's list. Also, they can't show iCloud item and we're working on that.

5. Finally, how can you help us with this? I've prepared a special version of PF, versioned a 7.3.1s1, build 1695. This build will print some messages into the console after Path Finder is launched. Launch Console.app and than launch Path Finder and look for messages in the Console coming from PF. We aren't interested in all messages, only those starting with text SIDEBAR LOG:. Copy those messages (pay attention these may be multiline messages, so expand all lines in the console) and paste them here. Please, don't just paste text messages here, due to support system formatting they become unreadable. Paste copied messages in a separate .txt file and attach that file to your message.

You can download this special build here, or you can even update your current copy to it automatically, just hold cmd+alt/option+shift keys while checking for update and follow the standard update process from then on.

Thanks for your patience and support.

10. 8 Posted by larry on 23 Nov, 2015 04:51 PM

3) I don't have a RECENT DOCUMENTS section showing. I went to the
    sidebar settings and first hid it, the un-hid it, still nothing. I then
    opened a photo in Preview ... still nothing.

Ran the special version you sent a link to, the results are in the
    attached txt file.

Thanks for looking into this, and please let me know if I can help.
    --
    Cheers!
    Larry Azlin
    Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

Dragan wrote:

11. 9 Posted by Andrew Currie on 23 Nov, 2015 05:31 PM

I ran into this exact same issue and first tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of PF7 but that didn't fix the problem. Next, I clicked the gear in the bottom-left and choose 'New Sidebar' and it basically reset itself and my Places items were restored to defaults. I then quickly customized them how I had it setup originally. Hope this helps someone else get through this issue, Thanks!

12. 10 Posted by michael on 23 Nov, 2015 06:29 PM

Per your request, here is the SIDEBAR LOG.

13. 11 Posted by parisiam on 23 Nov, 2015 07:01 PM

Hi,
    I've experienced the same problem: content of places have disapeared since I upgraded to PF 7.3.
    As said above, creating a new sidebar makes resets the places but doesn't bring back my original place.
    Another strange thing happened today.
    I noticed my favorites in the Finder have disappeared.
    I'm running OSX 10.11.1 (15B42).
    So this is maybe an OSX problem form the start.

I'm using Favorites instead of Places in PF.

Thanks.

14. 12 Posted by farhan on 25 Nov, 2015 07:54 PM

Not sure if this is related, but the sidebar in File > Save dialog in Chrome seems to have a similar problem. See attached screenshot for reference.

15. 13 Posted by farhan on 25 Nov, 2015 08:04 PM

This probably isn't ideal, but I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, logged out and logged back in. I have to reset a few preferences in Finder now, but it fixed the issue in both Chrome and Path Finder.

I found this at http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/210469/17954

16. 14 Posted by larry on 25 Nov, 2015 08:21 PM

The Stack Exchange link you shared also had a suggestion for just moving
    a Favorite within the sidebar of Finder, followed by a reboot. Since
    that was less dramatic a step than deleting the plist file, I gave it a
    try ... and it appears to have worked! All the expected favorites now
    show up in the PF standard sidebar. Guess I'll have to wait and see if
    they stay there, as some people reported other "solutions" were only
    temporary.
    --
    Cheers!
    Larry Azlin
    Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

farhan wrote:

17. 15 Posted by kim.gabriel on 29 Nov, 2015 12:12 PM

Quite frankly, I feel like a moron reading this thread and it has all pretty much sailed right over my head. However, I feel I should put what I know in the pot in case it helps. I originally wrote in because my standard Favourites had nothing in it although my Finder was chock a block full of them. When I added one to PF, it did not show up in Finder or vice versa. I was of the belief that they had always been identical in previous PF versions. I did upload the Beta (7.3.1b1(1697)). Now, I see all my Finder Favourites but they are under Places, not Favourites. Possibly it has always been that way and I just never noticed before because I could care less whether the terminology between the two is the same as long as I get the same list in both.

In other words, not sure if everything is now the same as it always was or if Places and Favourites have become confused but personally don't care. If it is of any use to help anyone else I will provide whatever information you ask for but I am signing off as life is good for me.

18. 16 Posted by farhan on 29 Nov, 2015 07:55 PM

@Larry, I did try the other suggestion, but it did not work for me. That's why I resorted to deleting the file. It's good that the less drastic option worked for you.

19. 17 Posted by larry on 29 Nov, 2015 11:41 PM

@farhan, interesting... guess I just got lucky :)

farhan wrote:

20. 18 Posted by Pares on 30 Nov, 2015 06:32 PM

hmm.. i can't see places either anymore

21. 19 Posted by Tom Dibble on 01 Dec, 2015 05:52 PM

Definitely broke with the latest PathFinder update for me as well (I use Recent Documents and Places multiple times a day, so this has really made PathFinder almost useless for me. The logs from the special build are attached.

Specific symptoms:
    * Standard Sidebar: * Only shows DEVICES, PLACES, and SHARED * PLACES is empty * Newly created sidebar * Only shows DEVICES, PLACES, and SHARED * PLACES has default items and can be updated to include additional items (but is not the same as the Finder sidebar unless I construct it to be so)

Note there is nothing checked in the "Hide Section" or "Hide Device" areas, and checking/unchecking the missing sections has no effect.

Note that I am on Path Finder 7.3.1s1 (the special build), OS X 10.11.1 (latest El Capitan).

BTW, that captcha is about the worst one I've seen. I'm definitely a human or a very good non-self-aware simulacrum of one and I've gone through ten of the beasts trying to find one where I could identify letters in both of the words!

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 05 Dec, 2015 07:58 PM.

23. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 05 Dec, 2015 08:01 PM

24. 20 Posted by Dar Ma on 14 Dec, 2015 09:40 AM

There is no FAVOURITES section in my Path Finder 7 sidebar (Yosemite 10.10.3). Have you found the solution yet? Thanks.

25. Support Staff 21 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Dec, 2015 01:35 AM

Hi Stefan,

The developers are working on this as we speak.

We will notify you when it's done.

In the meantime please, try to update to the latest version.

Please let me know how it goes.
    Best Regards,
    Tim,
    Path Finder Support Team

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Dec, 2015 01:35 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac