Path Finder 6.5 Open-Beta Discussion (Fixed Launch Issues)

Tom

20 Dec, 2013 10:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

We are very close to resolving the "Freeze On Launch" issue, but before releasing Path Finder 6.5 to all of our users, we'd first like to conduct an open-beta test.

To try out the beta, first make sure to delete the current Path Finder 6.app file, then download and install the beta. This will not delete your preferences or registration information, but as always, keeping registration information backed up somewhere is a good idea! Do not delete any other PF6 related files.

Next, start Path Finder, which should now open normally. Once it starts, you should be able to have as many sidebar / recent items as desired, as well use the "Launch Application" command, without any freezing. If you still see an issue persist, please reply in this discussion with your findings.

I've also included a list of other changes implemented in this build, so feel free to test those as well and report your findings. However, for issues not directly related to the "Freeze on Launch" problem, "Launch Application" command, or the other changes listed, please create a separate discussion.

Once this open-beta test is complete, unless we need to make any additional changes, you will not need to update to another version. However, if changes are made to the official release, you will be able to upgrade to the official build normally via the Check for Updates command. To ensure prompt notification, I'd suggest enabling Check for Updates Automatically.

Thank you for enduring the wait while we worked on this issue!

Download Path Finder 6.5 Beta Here

• "Freezing on Launch" and "Launch Application" issues resolved
  • Improved Preview Module Support for .EML Files
  • Resolved an issue when PF is launched and a browser window with open drawers set as default. The correct drawer modules will be displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where Tags applied in Finder were incorrectly removed from both Finder and Path Finder.
  • Added Support for OpenMeta tags applied by applications "Yep" and "Tagit"
  1. 1 Posted by Tom on 20 Dec, 2013 11:42 PM

Hello,

I've also included a list of other changes implemented in this build, so feel free to test those as well [..]

I can’t find that list … would you please point me to it?

TIA, Tom

< edit > thanks, facepalming in deep shame ;-)

2. 2 Posted by Tom on 21 Dec, 2013 12:01 AM

It's very short, just the items under the "Download" link in the original post.

3. 3 Posted by James Pontones on 21 Dec, 2013 12:14 AM

So far so good. I'm able to load Pathfinder without freezing on startup & I had the problem up until the release of 6.5.

4. 4 Posted by Marcelo Gigliot... on 21 Dec, 2013 12:21 AM

Good job!! Now I can use path finder again :-) Congrats...

5. 5 Posted by Thorsten on 21 Dec, 2013 01:14 AM

Friends, happy to use the app again. So great that you have been fixing the problem. Let me tell you: You have the greates files manager from all. Good job!

6. 6 Posted by Brian on 21 Dec, 2013 10:36 AM

I can use Path Finder again. Thanks so much for fixing it!

Wish you all happy holidays!

7. 7 Posted by chris lachman on 21 Dec, 2013 09:12 PM

.text files not remembering the font size. If I enlarge the font - so I can read my Japanese characters - it does not remember the font I chose when I save it. Otherwise so far so good. Nice to be using Pathfinder again on my laptop. Not going to upgrade the Macpro to Mavericks till Apple sort out all the bugs.

8. 8 Posted by hi on 22 Dec, 2013 01:20 AM

beachball still spinning for me
    I tried twice, each time I had to force quit

I've done no other of prior workarounds in the beachball post as I just need it to work. sorry. so using finder until its fixed. at least finder has tabs now.

I did not uninstall prior version. I dl beta. abd it gave me a new pathfinder icon which I dragged into applications folder and it prompted override
    prior version, I said yes to.

9. 9 Posted by Ruud Vlaming on 22 Dec, 2013 07:45 AM

This seems to solve my crash issue on startup as well. Please note that i think my startup problem started after i added iDisk (which is an 'apple alias') to the Favorites. As you can see it has the wrong icon! (On ML that was a directory symbol). Hopefully this information is of use to. Second thing, the beta version at least forgot one setting, since it started asking conformation on closing the application again. Thats no prob of course. Keep up the good work!

10. 10 Posted by Ken Botwinick on 22 Dec, 2013 11:30 AM

"Resolved an issue when PF is launched and a browser window with open drawers set as default. The correct drawer modules will be displayed."

I had this problem, but saw it mostly when fast user switching back and forth... If this is resolved... JOY TO THE WORLD...

11. 11 Posted by Thorsten Wehner on 22 Dec, 2013 11:32 AM

Am 22.12.2013 um 12:30 schrieb Ken Botwinick <[email blocked]>:

12. 12 Posted by dave9000 on 23 Dec, 2013 01:47 AM

Tagging should have the same functionality as Finder, ie. type a tag, type comma to "save", type second tag, comma, third tag, etc.

In Pathfinder, if I do this, not only do I have to close the Info window (cmd-I) in order to save the tag(s), when I cmd-I in Finder, I find that the tags are NOT separated into three tags, but rather it shows up as one tag, named "tag1, tag2, tag3"

Hope that makes sense.

13. 13 Posted by hi on 23 Dec, 2013 10:25 PM

hi: now working. i needed to update maverick to latest update.

Posted by hi on Dec 22, 2013 @ 02:20 PM

beachball still spinning for me
    I tried twice, each time I had to force quit

I've done no other of prior workarounds in the beachball post as I just need it to work. sorry. so using finder until its fixed. at least finder has tabs now.

I did not uninstall prior version. I dl beta. abd it gave me a new pathfinder icon which I dragged into applications folder and it prompted override
    prior version, I said yes to.

14. 14 Posted by SnowShark on 23 Dec, 2013 11:03 PM

I'd like to report another bug with quicklook. If I view an item using quicklook in Path Finder and then move it to the trash, I get a message telling me that the item is in use by another application when I attempt to empty the trash in the same session. I can work around this by quitting PF.

Oddly, I have not had any of the issue 6.5 is meant to fix aside from the minor problem of adding a 0 to the end of tags from Yep! - By the way, thanks for your attention to this issue!

15. 15 Posted by Thorsten Wehner on 23 Dec, 2013 11:04 PM

Am 24.12.2013 um 00:03 schrieb SnowShark <[email blocked]>:

16. 16 Posted by ugo on 24 Dec, 2013 09:52 AM

Hi,

first system restart with the beta went trough with no issues!

Will report in the next days if the problem is definitely gone.

Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!

17. 17 Posted by Sam Krishna on 24 Dec, 2013 02:49 PM

SUBJECT: PF6.5 and the desktop
    ENVIRONMENT: 10.9.1 with "Displays Have Separate Spaces" option checked ON

(0) When I run PF6.5 and have the "Hide Finder's Desktop", that behavior works correctly on a Finder Relaunch. (1) "Show PF Desktop" doesn't seem to work AT ALL in this configuration.

The only workaround I can find to "see desktop items" again is to uncheck "Hide Finder Desktop" and relaunch Finder. Which is OK, I guess, but still points to a bug with this issue.

I'm clear from the discussions I've seen that this bug may not get fixed before PF6.5 goes out the door, but I request it be one of the first issues resolved for 6.5.1.

Thanks and Happy Holidays Everyone! Your developers are top-flight -- they actually ~~forced~~ inspired Apple to add tabs to the Finder Window. Great job!

18. 18 Posted by Simon Hepworth on 25 Dec, 2013 10:18 AM

when running Pathfinder with desktop icons and a multimonitor setup set to separate spaces, you can't drag icons to the extended window which is a bit of a pain, anyone else and that >

19. 19 Posted by Kip Shaw on 28 Dec, 2013 02:55 PM

No more freeze on launch!

But sorting by tags doesn't seem to be working. See attached screenshot.

20. 20 Posted by Tom on 28 Dec, 2013 10:27 PM

Very strange. Started freezing after doing diagnostics tests and then trying to load Google Drive on new MacBook Pro 13. Had been working fine before this,.
    After loading 6.5 beta, nothing happened when I responded to move the software to the applications folder, but when I said not to move the software, PF opened fine - but it still was not in the Applications folder. However, using the Options function, I can keep the the program at the bottom and have it open whenever I start the computer - but is still comes up with the dialogue box asking if I want to move it to the applications folder (nothing happens) or not move it. In the latter case, PF opens just fine, but it is still not in the Applications folder.

21. 21 Posted by rfgeor on 29 Dec, 2013 04:46 PM

So far, so good. Only thing I have noticed is that I cannot customize the contextual menu. I can delete items from it but cannot add items to it.
    Nice to have 6 back, though. :)
    g

22. 22 Posted by rfgeor on 29 Dec, 2013 04:54 PM

Spoke too soon. Just realized that I cannot drag and drop files now...wild. Restarted with no luck.
    rfg

23. 23 Posted by rfgeor on 29 Dec, 2013 05:09 PM

Well...all is working. I had loaded a windows interface and evidently that caused the issues. Rebooted and all is working. Sorry...
    Rfg

24. 24 Posted by rick.eisner1 on 29 Dec, 2013 11:12 PM

I just ran into a problem with PF-65-OpenBeta. I was exploring Aptana Studio 3, build: 3.4.2.201308081805
    I was trying to Import a project that was on an external drive. Aptana could not find anything at all on that drive. In frustration, I quit Path Finder. Then, immediately, using the Finder, Aptana found the files I was looking for.
    I hope you can figure this out from my limited description. I could not find anything relevant to this Path Finder operation on the Console, but perhaps I do not know where to look.

25. 25 Posted by ugo on 30 Dec, 2013 12:38 PM

So far so good, no more issues on Mac Mini and MacBook Air OSX 10.9.1 !

Have a great 2014!

26. 26 Posted by Kevin on 01 Jan, 2014 06:57 AM

All good, no freezing at launch.

Cheers

27. 27 Posted by Tom on 03 Jan, 2014 10:25 PM

Path Finder 6.5 is now officially released, thank you everyone for participating!

28. Tom closed this discussion on 03 Jan, 2014 10:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac