PF 8.3.7 (1919) crashes when previewing text files, leading to full Mac OS hard crash

thomas kaiser

07 Jan, 2019 05:58 AM

I have experienced recurring crashes in the last few versions of Path Finder, preventing me from using PF at all.

What happens:
1. Open Path Finder
2. Click through any folder (column view)
3. Select (i think any, but for sure .gradle) text file and have the text-preview pane show the content
4. Path Finder locks up within seconds and can only be closed with "force quite application" from the dock
5. Now within seconds to a minute or so, the entire OS (!) will start freezing up, app by app. every app will become unresponsive, the dock will start to freeze, alt-tab and spotlight will stop working and only a hard reset by holding the power button will help. on reboot PF will just start again and the crash can be reproduced.

Additonal info:
This only occurs on this specific (work) Macbook, I have been using PF at home on my Macbook Air for years without any crashes.
I have McAfee Endpoint Security for Mac running in the background. But the crash occurs also when previewing files that are excluded from the on-demand scan.

I have been a big fan of Path Finder for 5+ years and would (and have) recommend it to any Mac user, but currently PF is completely unusable for me.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 07 Jan, 2019 11:17 AM

Hi Thomas, 

Please choose a .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax". 
    Also, it may be worth trying to restore defaults for View Settings (cmd+J).
    Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jan, 2019 11:17 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac