Pathfinder 8 is a disaster, and reverting to 7 did not help much

hs

07 Jan, 2019 01:37 AM

I've been a loyal user for about a decade, but am about to give up. PF8 disappeared all my sidebar favorites/shortcuts, and judging from other postings on cocoatech support, it seems I'll never get them back, and PF tech has blamed Apple. Also, I noticed that the shortcuts I placed in my PF title bar, although they still "worked", could not be changed -- can't delete any of them, and can't add any. I saw in another posting simply that this is a "known issue". I reverted to PF7, which gave me back my sidebar "favorites" section, but still no titlebar shortcut links. Also the back-&-forth integration link to Finder seems profoundly obliterated in other ways, too. For example, Default Folder X, a Mac utility I use to quickly save files to various Finder/Pathfinder folders, is also now broken (works on Finder, of course, just not Pathfinder) -- so I have to keep both Finder and Pathfinder windows open, continually setting them to the folder I am current accessing/saving files. A complete mess!!!!!!!

P.S. When I just tried to "CREATE" this posting, I got a fatal error "File not found" to upload the screenshot -- yet another failing, I suppose. Now I'll just not attach the screenshot I referenced.

For reference, I attach a screenshot I happened to snap a few years ago, showing how I typically populate my mac PF windows. PF (at least through PF7) was incredibly useful to me, greatly enhancing my workflow. Now it is worse than useless. If only Mac Finder had an option to display my color file tags across the window as in PF, rather than as little colored dots.

Needless to say, I won't be un-reverting back to PF8, which I paid for without knowing that my most-incessantly used PF feature, the sidebar favorites (still present in Finder) were a thing of the past. And some key flaws (e.g. the titlebar links no longer available, and no more mirroring to Finder windows) are also present even after reverting to PF7, apparently a function of my now using osX Mojave.

I'm looking for alternatives, and I frankly feel betrayed.

Model Name: iMac Model Identifier: iMac15,1 macOS Mojave: v 10.14.2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 4 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 32 GB Boot ROM Version: IM151.0211.B00 SMC Version (system): 2.23f11 Serial Number (system): D25PL0B4FY14 Hardware UUID: 0CEDB9BA-5790-5377-A7AB-A8A5C883ECEF.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 07 Jan, 2019 11:12 AM

Hi, 

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction. 

I'd like to point out that PF8 is a foundation for further updates and improvements which are coming as soon as our developers deal with the major issues. 
    See more at https://cocoatech.com/#/post/path-finder-8

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Jan, 2019 11:12 AM.

3. hs re-opened this discussion on 07 Jan, 2019 03:50 PM

4. 2 Posted by hs on 07 Jan, 2019 03:50 PM

I'm sorry, but are you kidding me? That's the only response? How about if I down-select to one key issue, and this applies to PF7 as well as PF8: "I reverted to PF7, which gave me back my sidebar "favorites" section, but still no titlebar shortcut links. Also the back-&-forth integration link to Finder seems profoundly obliterated in other ways, too. For example, Default Folder X, a Mac utility I use to quickly save files to various Finder/Pathfinder folders, is also now broken (works on Finder, of course, just not Pathfinder) -- so I have to keep both Finder and Pathfinder windows open, continually setting them to the folder I am current accessing/saving files. A complete mess!!!!!!!"

5. 3 Posted by RDM on 07 Jan, 2019 04:19 PM

I confirm, Path Finder 8 is a disaster

6. 4 Posted by enkaytee on 08 Jan, 2019 09:30 AM

PF8 has been available for nearly 8 months and I don't see any evidence of the statement: "With good foundation laid out, further changes and improvements should be easier, faster and delivered more often."
    It seems that bug fixing and development are incredibly slow, the level of communication from Cocoatech is pretty much non-existent or useless and long-term customers are losing patience - some, like me have already abandoned PF for alternatives.
    "We hope we will attract new users with many new (and old) features, which gives Path Finder the edge over Finder and other file managers." Good luck with finding those new users - I think you have a huge uphill struggle on your hands...

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jan, 2019 10:00 AM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jan, 2019 10:00 AM

9. 5 Posted by smallniche on 10 Jan, 2019 12:37 PM

The only viable path for me thus far has been to revert to PF 7 which except for toolbar seems to be working.

(loyal user for years....increasingly doubtful)

:(

10. 6 Posted by Gmail on 10 Jan, 2019 12:38 PM

nigel turley

11. 7 Posted by dannymatranga on 10 Jan, 2019 05:28 PM

The Sidebar and Favorites bugs should be prioritized over feature additions or enhancements. These are essential functions for an application that seeks to replace Finder.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jan, 2019 10:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac