Finding tagged files

jcbeatty

01 Jan, 2019 11:56 PM

Sigh. Could someone please point me at or supply an explanation of how to search for tagged files in PathFinder 8? All I have been able to locate are postings from several years ago that don't work for the current version of PathFinder (I'm running version 8.3.7). A particular problem is that they describe selecting "Tags" in "the leftmost pulldown" in a Find window, whereas none of the pulldown menus in a PathFinder 8.3.7 window on my machine have a Tag item.

I've appended a screen snapshot of an example PathFinder Find dialog on my iMac.

Note that PathFinder tags show up in the results listing generated in the Tags column, but the "Label" pull down doesn't allow me to restrict a search to files bearing a particular such tag (eg T1134 in the appended dialog).

I don't have a problem tagging files — just finding them without finding everything!

Thanks.
jcb

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 02 Jan, 2019 10:34 AM

Hi, 

Do you have Tags in Sidebar? Will you be able to find your files this way? 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jan, 2019 10:34 AM.

3. jcbeatty re-opened this discussion on 02 Jan, 2019 08:41 PM

4. 2 Posted by jcbeatty on 02 Jan, 2019 08:41 PM

Interesting question. I had thought only the Finder tags were visible there in the sidebar, but I just looked and two of the 20 non-Finder tags I defined a few months ago are visible there. I then looked at Tags in the Finder's sidebar, and discovered that the same two "non-Finder" tags are visible there, too. Bug? Scrambled Finder and/or PathFinder data structure?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    jcb

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 04 Jan, 2019 09:42 AM

Hi, 

We've had the sync of PF's and Finder's tags in PF7, but in PF8 a there was a step away made in order to avoid issues and because of having no sufficient APIs. 
    I'm afraid there is nothing else I can suggest at the moment regarding tags, sorry for the inconvenience. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jan, 2019 09:42 AM.

7. jcbeatty re-opened this discussion on 05 Jan, 2019 05:07 PM

8. 4 Posted by jcbeatty on 05 Jan, 2019 05:07 PM

Thanks — a clear statement of what doesn't work helps greatly as I don't spend time trying to figure out something that can't be figured out :-). I'd like to emphasize that I'd be perfectly happy to assign and search for tags entirely within PathFinder — I resort to the Finder only for a couple of things I can't seem to do with PathFinder.

A small suggestion: it would be helpful if CocoaTech could maintain a web page listing the things that are known not to work in the current release of PathFinder — that would minimize the amount of time users of this lovely product spend wrestling with known issues.

Thanks.
    -jcb

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Jan, 2019 11:01 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for being so understanding and patient. 

We have this suggestion on the list of things to implement, at some point. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jan, 2019 11:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac