PF 8 in Mojave shows empty mail folder (with minus sign on icon?)

ac99

08 Dec, 2018 04:31 PM

I just updated to Mojave yesterday. (10.14.2). When I go to /Users/al/Library/Mail it shows that Mail has not items. It displays a red minus sign on the folder icon. I see this on a bunch of other folders as well. How do I fix this? Fortunately Finder works fine.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 Dec, 2018 10:12 AM

Hi, 

Please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Make sure that Path Finder is located in the Applications folder
      (in case you are using macOS Mojave) Use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > grant Full Disk Access to Path Finder

2. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

3. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Dec, 2018 10:12 AM.

3. ac99 re-opened this discussion on 09 Dec, 2018 05:11 PM

4. 2 Posted by ac99 on 09 Dec, 2018 05:11 PM

#1 above was the problem. Once I went to System Pref, Privacy/Security, Full Disk Access, and added PF the minus sign went away and I can see the contents of the folders.

Have you folks ever thought about putting this info in a your FAQ or someplace where we could FIND it? I looked all over your site and Google and could not find the info you posted above.

I like PF 8 but you folks brought this out before it was ready. People don't like to pay "production software" prices for what is really a "beta software" application.

I found a product called Forklift that looks like a formidable competitor to PF. I've not tried it, but the next time I have to kill half a day trying to figure out something as simple as the above, I'm going to say, in my best New York City accent, "fergetaboutit" and wave good-bye to you after some seven years of using (paying) you and am going to move on.

I'm staying with you for now as I have high hopes that you will 'up your game" because in reality you will have to. You had this market all to yourselves for many years... but you don't anymore.

I love you guys... but you gotta love me back... and put out bug-free and crash-proof software like you did in the past.

I'm old. You folks are all young. Have you ever heard of WordStar or VisiCalc or Netscape or Quark or any of the other market-leading software products that were upended by newcomers who totally "ate their lunch" by putting out better products?

I want to remain as your customer... but to keep me you have to do better.

Thanks for your help... it should not have been necessary.

Send this note to your CEO. If he or she is over 40 they will "get" it. If not I've probably wasted a lot of electrons here.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Dec, 2018 10:11 AM

Hi, 

Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support. 

Your suggestion makes perfect sense (regarding adding it to our FAQ).
    We just want to fix this so there will be no need to forward any instructions. 
    But it gets harder. This particular step is necessary with the addition of Mojave permissions management. 

I assure that we all want Path Finder to be bug-free and crash-proof as it used to be. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Dec, 2018 10:11 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac