Lots of memory leaks

jon

07 Dec, 2018 04:55 AM

Every couple of days I notice my system running sluggishly. I look in Activity Monitor and every time Path Finder is using up a huge amount of RAM - normally around 8-12 GB but once as high as 30 GB (I only have 16 GB of physical RAM). When this occurs I am often not using Path Finder at all but just had some windows open in the background. I quit and relaunch Path Finder and my memory usage goes back down until the same thing happens a few days later.

So I relaunched Path Finder and then immediately ran the Leaks module in Instruments to see what was happening. As you can see from the attached screenshot, Path Finder starts leaking memory from the start and the allocations keep racking up. The leaked objects are only around 100 bytes or so, but Path Finder is leaking thousands of them and eventually it uses up all of my system memory.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 07 Dec, 2018 10:41 AM

Hi Jon, 

Please choose a .txt file, open Preview module preferences (gear button next to its header) and uncheck "Colorize syntax". 

Also, it may be worth trying to restore defaults for View Settings (cmd+J).
    Make sure to have "Calculate all sizes" unchecked here. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Dec, 2018 10:41 AM.

3. jon re-opened this discussion on 07 Dec, 2018 08:30 PM

4. 2 Posted by jon on 07 Dec, 2018 08:30 PM

Hi Jordan,

I don't have the Preview module visible so I don't think it's contributing to this. But I enabled it and then switched Colorize Syntax off. I already had Calculate all sizes switched off.

I relaunched and can still see the memory usage rising every few seconds.

5. 3 Posted by David Martin on 07 Dec, 2018 10:11 PM

Neither of those solutions work. PF has had memory leak issues on and off for years. Frankly, there were better under PF8 but that version is unusable for a variety of other reasons that I went back to PF7.

And welcomed back the memory leaks. Oh joy!

6. 4 Posted by jon on 08 Dec, 2018 02:11 AM

Interesting... for me it's been the opposite. PF7 memory usage wasn't bad enough for me to notice and PF8 is considerably worse. But PF8 is largely stable for me and this is the only major issue I have. But that might be something to do with the fact that I'm not making use of the new module features.

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Dec, 2018 10:31 AM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 08 Dec, 2018 10:31 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Path_Finder_Leaks.png 431 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac