Where is the promised useable 'FIND' function?

David Martin

31 Oct, 2018 10:15 PM

It's been months since the release of PF8 and there is still no working, useable, 'Find' function. This has been promised too many times to count. PF8, or any file manager, is worthless without a 'Find' function that informs the user not only that he/she has a given file or folder, but also informs them WHERE the files or folders are located on the hard drives.

How difficult can it be to implement this? PF always had this feature in previous releases. Please focus on the important functionality of PF* instead of wasting resources to make PF8 look good under Mojave Dark Mode. That is a complete waste of effort. No one cares if PF8 looks great when it cannot tell the user where their files are located? Might as well put lipstick on a pig.

1. 1 Posted by David Martin on 01 Nov, 2018 03:15 PM

Hello Jordan? Any update?

2. 2 Posted by Heiko on 02 Nov, 2018 07:31 AM

I was thinking it's jus me who simply didn't figure out where the information is now location, but apearantly, the path info as provided in PF7 is no longer available?!

3. 3 Posted by David Martin on 02 Nov, 2018 03:10 PM

No, it's not. And you can't even drag the path destination module over to the Find window as the Find window doesn't support modules! Idiotic!

I do a keyword search for a model I worked with and I find dozens of folders for our shoots. All I know is that they are on a 20TB drive, but since that drive has a hierarchical structure, I have no better idea where any given folder is. Performing the 'Get Info' command on each folder is not efficient.

Hands down, providing a Find function that tells the user NOTHING about where the files or folders are located on a given drive is the stupidest idea ever.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2018 06:14 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Nov, 2018 06:14 PM

6. 4 Posted by David Martin on 05 Nov, 2018 04:35 PM

Hello Jordan? Any update?

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 07 Nov, 2018 10:05 AM

Hi David,

It takes time to implement new features. 
    Highest priority now is fixing issues and bugs. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Nov, 2018 10:05 AM.

9. DMEEPhD re-opened this discussion on 07 Nov, 2018 01:09 PM

10. 6 Posted by DMEEPhD on 07 Nov, 2018 01:09 PM

How can restoring a necessary feature be classified as implementing a ’new’ feature? Have you lost your collective minds?

David Martin, Ph.D.

> On 7Nov, 2018, at 02:05, Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > From: Path Finder Support Team (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Where is the promised useable 'FIND' function?
    >
    > Hi David,
    >
    > It takes time to implement new features.
    > Highest priority now is fixing issues and bugs.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jordan
    > Path Finder Support Team
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/120168-where-is-the-promised-useable-find-function
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Nov, 2018 02:03 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Nov, 2018 02:03 PM

13. 7 Posted by David Martin on 07 Nov, 2018 03:54 PM

In other words, Jordan, you're admitting that PF8 has so many issues and bugs that your developers do not have the time to actually produce a functional file manager?

That's an incredible admission.

BTW, where's my $20 refund you've been promising me for four months?

14. 8 Posted by tosbsas on 08 Nov, 2018 04:17 PM

so, now I know what I was missing - find just doesn't work - in a file manager - that's more than weird

15. 9 Posted by David Martin on 08 Nov, 2018 04:34 PM

More than weird is an understatement for a necessary function in a file manager. It's like having no ledgers in a bank. They know they have money in the safe, but no idea whose money it is. (Probably why I'll never see my requested--and promised--refund.)

For Cocoatech to claim this is a 'new' feature is incredulous.

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Nov, 2018 08:44 AM.

17. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Nov, 2018 08:45 AM

18. 10 Posted by David Martin on 14 Nov, 2018 04:47 PM

Finally received a missive from Sales claiming my refund was issued. Haven't seen anything of course, except the cancelation of my PF8 license.

Never mind, I purged the PF8 malware from my system and am now running PF7 whilst test-driving ForkLift. (The developers at BinaryNights are FAR more responsive to questions. I've now got Default Folder X working with ForkLift and as soon as I feel comfortable enough, I will delete PF7 and stick with ForkLift.

Cocoatech has lost a multi-year customer, probably for good.

19. 11 Posted by Tony Diaz on 14 Nov, 2018 10:49 PM

At least I know I'm not imaging things. Find is actually broken. Good deal.

This whole PF8 thing has been nothing short of an abomination.

20. 12 Posted by David Martin on 14 Nov, 2018 10:56 PM

PF8 was nothing more than a money grab, a fraud, a scheme. All this BS about outdated APIs and other nonsense is clearly disproven by how nicely PF7 behaves under Mojave. With a useable Find function.

There was not a single reason for PF8 to exist other than to fleece the users.

21. 13 Posted by Tony Diaz on 14 Nov, 2018 11:11 PM

I wish I could go back to an earlier PF6 release actually. It never fully starts up and all you can do is force quit it. I seem to recall PF7 doing something similar too, I'll have to try 7 again.

22. 14 Posted by sproets on 15 Nov, 2018 10:21 AM

• 1: Please at file path to search results...
  23. 15 Posted by Josef Varilek on 15 Nov, 2018 10:28 AM

Hello,
    Yes, I also see PF8 as a fundraising try, however after years of close to zero activity, it looks like the team is back again and that it has a potential. I would give it some time.

I have lots of file managers for mac - Commander One, Forklift, Nimble Commander, Crax, fman and PathFinder is still one of the best ones, so hope it will be finetuned to be really the best one.
    I have just sent a feedback to Cocoatech, so let`s see.

Having said that - now to the topic - I do not see problem with the find dialog - path is there and looks fine. What is exactly the issue?

24. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Nov, 2018 11:11 AM.

25. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Nov, 2018 11:11 AM

26. 16 Posted by David Martin on 15 Nov, 2018 03:52 PM

There's no indication of which drive those files are located on. If one has multiple external drives, then the 'Find' function is useless.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Nov, 2018 09:59 AM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Nov, 2018 09:59 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac