Favorites preferences... has this been fixed?

J8ck

08 Oct, 2018 05:05 PM

Do the Sidebar Favorites still disappear? has this bug been fixed.

1. 1 Posted by stu.farnham on 10 Oct, 2018 01:34 AM

Sadly, no, as of 8.2.4

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 08:33 AM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 08:33 AM

4. 2 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 11:54 AM

thank you Stu. I've downgraded to PF7 and waiting for this to be fixed.

5. 3 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 11:58 AM

Jordan -

you responded to a new post about saving browsers and modules with the following:

*Just to be clear, Path Finder is supposed to save your browser and sidebar by default. In case it doesn't, it means that something is wrong and it's necessary to run further troubleshooting. *

Are you saying that Favorites should be saved with the new version of PF8 ?

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:04 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:05 PM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Oct, 2018 12:05 PM

Hi, 

It's not about the version. There was no new fix. 
    The point here is that losing preferences doesn't happen to all of our users. 
    We are looking for the reason which causes this to happen to some of our users. 

Here's what we suggest but you've probably tried following the instructions below by now: 

1. Make sure that Path Finder is located in the Applications folder
      (in case you are using macOS Mojave) Use System Preferences > Security & Privacy > grant Full Disk Access to Path Finder

2. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

3. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:05 PM.

10. J8ck re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:13 PM

11. 5 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 12:13 PM

but you've probably tried following the instructions below by now:

I haven't because PF7 is still working great since downgrading.

The point here is that losing preferences doesn't happen to all of our users.

Are people still experiencing the problem even after the quarantine routine?
    Are you collecting any data from that group?

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Oct, 2018 12:54 PM

Hi, 

I've just received a message that granting Full Disk Access helped. 
    But this is not a 100 percent confirmed statement yet. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:54 PM.

14. J8ck re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 02:05 PM

15. 7 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 02:05 PM

Hi Jordan

OK here's what I did...

-Deleted all PF7 and PF8 legacy stuff via AppCleaner -Restarted Mac -Downloaded and installed the latest version of PF8 -I ran the terminal commands and found that the app was placed in quarantine and set it free. -Restarted Mac and PF8 -Created custom sidebar with Favorites and saved via sidebar gear -Also customized a new browser window and saved

and here's what I found...

Favorites are only saved when the new custom saved browser is called directly via the File>NewBrowser>"saved browser name"

If you choose File>NewBrowser>NewBrowser or cmd-N the favorites are not retained.

But the good news is that choosing the saved browser by name will still work, even after using the cmd-N command by choosing the saved browser name unless you choose a new browser window by choosing Default. In this case you loose the favorites even if you choose your custom Browser by name.

Try this to confirm:

Save a Custom Browser via Save Browser
    Make changes to the Favorites in the sidebar and save the sidebar via the gear in the sidebar header. Make sure your custom browser is open, and when viewing the File>NewBrowser there is a check mark next to your saved browswer name. Quit PF and restart.

Then...

Choose a new browser by clicking on File>NewBrowser>"new saved browser name"
    you should see an copy of the custom browser with your favorites intact.

Choose a new browser by cmd-N and the custom browser window is correct but the favorites are gone.

Choose a new browser by choosing File>NewBrowser>Default and the default browser shows up as well as the default favorites (not custom). Also, now if you choose a new browser by the custom browser name, the favorites are also gone.

ok too much time on this I need to go and be productive. I can send you a video capture if you need it.

16. 8 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 02:30 PM

If anyone is experiencing the problem of losing Favorites settings and doesn't want to read all of the above...

The quick answer that I found that seems to work for me is to:

• save you sidebar prefs (not entirely sure if this part is needed, but do it anyway)
    • save your custom browser File>New Browser> Save Browser
    • only choose a new browser window by clicking on the new custom browser name File>New Browser> "custom browser name"
    • do not use cmd-N, or choose "New Browser" from the File menu, this will produce a new window w/o your favorites.
    • and Default browser seems to lose everything.
  17. 9 Posted by tmatsoukas on 10 Oct, 2018 05:02 PM

I get very inconsistent behavior with the sidebar favorites: The preferences stick for a while, even after quitting/relaunching PF8, but at some random point they disappear. I have not figured a consistent pattern for their disappearance.

18. 10 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 05:08 PM

if you have a chance test out my results.

If you have saved a custom browser and sidebar with favorites, only create new browser windows by clicking on the custom browser name under the File>New Browser>"your custom browser name"

For me all of the other methods of opening a new browser window loses the favorites for me.. such as cmd-N, or simply choosing New Browser, or default Browser.

19. 11 Posted by J8ck on 10 Oct, 2018 05:45 PM

well.... after 4 hours of using PF8 I experienced full blank browsers when creating new windows.

Restarted PF8 and now the favorites are gone.

The quarantine fix is clearly not the answer to this problem.

back to PF7

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:23 AM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:24 AM

22. Support Staff 12 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Oct, 2018 06:24 AM

Hi, 

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, we will see what we can do from here. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:24 AM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:25 AM

25. 13 Posted by tosbsas on 12 Oct, 2018 01:28 PM

PF has to show in the full access category? It doesn't show here but PF has access

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 09:12 AM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 09:12 AM

28. 14 Posted by wealthychef on 13 Oct, 2018 02:47 PM

I'm having this issue too, is nobody at cocoatech ever seeing it? Unable to reproduce it? For me, it's intermittent. I will try the custom browser trick from above, that sounds promising. I'm sick of losing my favorites over and over again.

29. 15 Posted by wealthychef on 13 Oct, 2018 02:50 PM

OK, I tried the "save custom browser" trick and PF 8 forgot the font sizes I had set up. What a hot mess this PF 8 is. I guess time to switch back to PF 7, what is any good about 8 anyhow? I'll check back in 3 months to see if this has been fixed. Totally unacceptable.

30. 16 Posted by J8ck on 13 Oct, 2018 03:35 PM

Hi Wealthychef

I think sticking with PF7 is the best plan for now. As much as I had hoped that the above workaround would work in the end PF8 seemed to degrade even further.

Since PF7 still works for me I guess I’ll be happy until I switch to Mojave.

31. 17 Posted by wealthychef on 13 Oct, 2018 04:14 PM

Oh man, I use Mojave -- I have a bad feeling you are going to tell me I have to use PF8.
    Well, I think with a combination of saved browsers and just readjusting the view prefs every damned few days or whatever I should be able to survive this mess. Or maybe just use the Finder if it gets annoying enough.
    So... am I stuck with 8 because I use Mojave?
    Thanks

32. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:22 PM.

33. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:22 PM

34. 18 Posted by J8ck on 13 Oct, 2018 08:03 PM

Hi Chef

I don’t know the answer. PF7 is listed as compatible up to HighSierra but it’s possible that they just stopped testing and that it does work?

http://support.cocoatech.com/kb/installation-and-compatibility/path...

35. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 08:45 PM.

36. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 08:45 PM

37. 19 Posted by wealthychef on 14 Oct, 2018 01:51 AM

Oh, how confusing. This email comes from a weird address and I thought you worked for them. I guess hopefully they'll answer...

38. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 01:23 PM.

39. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 01:23 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac