Lack of Communication

simpliciter

07 Oct, 2018 07:43 PM

I am extremely troubled:

1) That the personnel question I asked over a month ago (in "Plans…") has neither been acknowledged or addressed -- about whether the original developers have left Cocoatech, whether there has been a wholesale change of developers, whether the company was sold and we are dealing with an entirely new entity, etc.;

2) That there is no communication about the immense frustration that so many of us long-time users feel, and no roadmap about what can be expected, what priority has been given to issues raised by large numbers of users, etc.;

3) That straightforward deal-breaking issues are neither addressed nor acknowledged -- such as about adding aliases to the sidebar (I don't care about synching with the Finder).

The lack of communication is deafening. It is also astonishing, for any company trying to conduct business online, let alone with a user base as sophisticated as PF's. And it is sad to see a company act in such a way that will so obviously drive its reputation relentlessly into the ground.

What, honestly, do you expect us to do? Wait for yet more months…without no indication that the things that bother us are being addressed?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Oct, 2018 10:24 AM

Hi, 

1) Sorry about that. We respond to all the private discussions and try to follow the public ones, too. 
    Sometimes we fail to keep up with all the responses to the public discussions. 

2) The key point here is that PF8 is a good foundation for further updates and new features. 
    PF7's old and outdated APIs started causing issues (you are lucky to have not experienced them) and the re-write was necessary. 
    It requires a lot of work to keep up with Apple's ever-evolving environment. See more at https://cocoatech.com/#/post/path-finder-8
    Our current priority is implementing a good-looking and stable dark mode into Path Finder. 

3) I can confirm that we have this on our feature requests list. 

I assure you that we carefully follow users' feedback, structure it and pass on to the developers team. 
    This way, the things that bother not only you but us, too, will be addressed but perhaps not as fast as we all would like to. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Oct, 2018 10:24 AM.

3. simpliciter re-opened this discussion on 08 Oct, 2018 08:15 PM

4. 2 Posted by simpliciter on 08 Oct, 2018 08:15 PM

I appreciate your quick response. I do note that the issue of whether the company and development team are the same as they were, or whether PF has been taken over by new management, new developers, etc., is not addressed in your reply. So this remains a question for me.

My point is not to disagree with (or cast doubt on) several things you said. Yes, wholesale rewrites are huge projects; yes, such a rebuild may have been necessary, etc. Rather, my concern is about the lack of communication from the developers or company about this, and the lack of anything like a timetable or guideline as to what issues have what priority. This is more than something that you, as part of the support team, can be expected to provide. It is that the company/project as a whole has a major trust issue, in part of its own making ... and that for the sake of the future of PF, and indeed for of all us, serious and substantive communication is vital.

5. 3 Posted by tosbsas on 08 Oct, 2018 10:02 PM

Like to second that. Mostly we do get standard answers about missing permissions and stuff, but that's about it.

Maybe to would be good idea to really open a beta testing group to get the bugs discovered faster and maybe solved faster. Comunication is really bad, a board whose software sets threads as closed automatically is a way to scare off customers. I really want to make the jump to PF and leaving Forklift behind, but right now its impossible and I have no idea about timeline or else.
    Maybe DCommander o Xfile is a better alternative

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 07:03 AM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 07:05 AM

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Oct, 2018 07:05 AM

Hi, 

Neither the developers nor owners (company) changed. 
    They are the same as always have been. This information is available via Path Finder > About Path Finder. 

I see your point of the lack of communication. 
    But on the other side of the coin, if developers also spend time on creating some kind of UI for progress on issues, actual fixes will arrive even later. 

We've had public beta testing experience with Path Finder 8 release which turned out to be not as successful as expected. 
    So we had to switch to closed beta testing with a limited number of testers. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 07:05 AM.

10. tosbsas re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 01:51 PM

11. 5 Posted by tosbsas on 10 Oct, 2018 01:51 PM

another example on that communication problem

https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/117723-pathfinde...

another thread closed where one can't post cause the "system" closed them

12. 6 Posted by David Martin on 10 Oct, 2018 03:53 PM

Frankly, I find having as your development focus the cosmetic Dark Mode to be extremely troubling when PF8 has so many other operational and functional bugs.

Where is the path module for the 'Find' function? What good is a Find function that does not inform the user where the files or folders are actually located?

PF8 broke this feature, and after four or five updates it is still broken. Fix this, and then you can play with the Dark Mode.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:13 AM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:15 AM

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 12 Oct, 2018 06:15 AM

Hi, 

The "Find" window will become obsolete very soon, hence we didn't add a possibility to add modules to it. 
    In one of the soon coming PF8 updates, the "Find" window will be completely removed and its functionality will be incorporated into the standard browser window. 
    Hence you'll get "find" functionality in every browser window and in each of its panes (left/top, bottom/right) when you work in dual pane mode.

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 12 Oct, 2018 06:15 AM.

17. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 09:19 AM

18. 8 Posted by tosbsas on 13 Oct, 2018 04:12 PM

you mention beta tests - why aren't u using us here to help with that

Any ETA on more fixes? Its more than a week now

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:21 PM.

20. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:21 PM

21. 9 Posted by tosbsas on 14 Oct, 2018 05:02 PM

you mention betas here
    https://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/118074-dark-mode

again closed thread (your system is a pain)

how can one get hold of them - would like to test

22. Support Staff 10 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 14 Oct, 2018 05:13 PM

Hi,

There is no public beta-testing now, unfortunately. 
    It's a closed one with our constant testers. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 05:13 PM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Oct, 2018 05:14 PM

25. 11 Posted by David Martin on 15 Oct, 2018 08:22 PM

Regarding your email
    "Hi, The "Find" window will become obsolete very soon, hence we didn't add a possibility to add modules to it.
    In one of the soon coming PF8 updates, the "Find" window will be completely removed and its functionality will be incorporated into the standard browser window.
    Hence you'll get "find" functionality in every browser window and in each of its panes (left/top, bottom/right) when you work in dual pane mode.
    Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team "

This new Find feature has been talked about and promised since PF8 hit the streets, but it has yet to make an appearance. Promises, promises, that's all I ever get. (No refund, either. Another promise.)

Are you also telling us that the Find feature will ONLY be available in dual pane mode? What about when a user is not using dual panes?

26. 12 Posted by Marco on 16 Oct, 2018 02:10 PM

I see your point of the lack of communication. But on the other side of the coin, if developers also spend time on creating some kind of UI for progress on issues, actual fixes will arrive even later.

This answer is deeply troubling. Nobody asked for "some kind of UI for progress". And the implication that the developers would be doing it misleading. You do have project managers, right? Maybe people who help direct marketing? Any kind of team leader who has some insight into what people are working on? How about you, Jordan? Responding to customers is part of the job, not an annoyance.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Oct, 2018 12:39 PM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Oct, 2018 12:39 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac