PF 8.1 so erratic it's effectively unusable

mark

18 Aug, 2018 10:35 AM

Sad to say I came here for the first time ever (having been a solid PF user since v5) hoping for fixes to the awful and terrfiying problems, but it seems everyone's having similar experiences:
regular crashing / freezing
loss of sidebar, panes, view config
almost complete failure to show mounted NTFS drives, whether native, Paragon or Tuxera in the sidebar and sometimes even under 'Volumes' (when Finder sees them)
really scary erroneous 'rename' popups (as though the clipboard is persisting and there's a stuck keystroke) when copy/pasting or cut/pasting or drag/drop moving between folders on an NTFS volume
Very erratic behaviour when Parallels is running and mac volumes are shared to windows VM
crazy 'smart sort' jumping about

tbh it's so bad I don't know where to start - If there was A bug I'd be sending you detailed reports, steps to remedy, how to reproduce, etc etc but I just can't believe this has been released as 'stable'.

Where can I find the last stable PF7 release?

btw I have:
- cleared prefs - uninstalled/ cleared prefs/ rebooted/ reinstalled - tried it without NTFS driver enabled or volumes attached

Fingers crossed ;-)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Aug, 2018 01:43 PM

Hi Mark, 

First of all, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. 

Here's the link to PathFinder 7 should you decide to downgrade: https://get.cocoatech.com/PF7.zip

Most of the time PF7 will work fine, but if you made some certain changes in settings, it may just hang after launch, not showing any window.
    If you want to go back using PF7, you may need to delete folder "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store", where "~" is your home folder.
    After that PF7 will work fine. 

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker in Path Finder > Preferences > General. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Aug, 2018 01:43 PM.

3. mark re-opened this discussion on 18 Aug, 2018 02:47 PM

4. 2 Posted by mark on 18 Aug, 2018 02:47 PM

Hi Jordan

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll downgrade for now.

I'd kind of hoped you might have something to say about some of the issues... I admit I haven't taken the time to read widely across the forum, but given that it's only PF8/8.1 that have gone bad on my mac I'm pretty certain it's not down to environmental conditions.

Are fixes on the way for the functional and graphical instability?
    More importantly, are you aware of reports of users losing data either as a direct result of crashes, or by erroneous renaming/merging/moving while the panels and views jump around?

Thanks

Mark

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 19 Aug, 2018 03:59 PM

Hi Mark,

Sure, we are carefully following users' feedback, structure it and pass down to our developers. 
    This way, I can't, unfortunately, provide you with information on the time frames. 
    But, of course, our developers are working on known PathFinder issues. 
    We all want PathFinder to be stable and as useful as it gets. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2018 03:59 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac