End of rope reached

Terry Harpold

17 Jul, 2018 03:10 PM

As the discussion thread of my previous “reaching the end of my rope with PF8” has been closed I'm posting this in a new thread.

About ten days ago I removed all traces of PF from my macOS 10.13.5 system (2017 MacBook Pro), as per instructions from Cocoatech. And then kept them off. Proceeded to cobble together comparable solutions for key features of PF which had been a part of my daily workflow with other applications, mostly Dropzone 3 and ForkLift 3; not complete replacements, required some retooling of well-developed habits, but still pretty darn close and rock-solid performers in their own right. I continued to work as before, even took the laptop on a business trip during which reliability of my system was an essential need.

And: voilà. With PF 8 gone, no mysterious applications hangs, no unexpected slowdowns, no spinning beachballs related to basic Finder actions, no need to force application quits or reboots for no obvious reason. I feel as though I have my pre-PF 8 computer back. My new workflow is settling into place and I've decided I won't be coming back.

I understand that software is complicated; I used to write it for a living. I know that software that plugs into the OS as deeply as PF probably does – though, as I noted before, I only used it as a supplement to the Finder, not a replacement – must be even more complicated and error-prone. I loved PF 6 and 7, made them fundamental to how I used my computer for 8-12 hours a day, often recommended them to others. But my loyalty was sorely tested by the many, many problems with PF 8, which was plainly not ready for use by its most devoted fans. I'm moving on. My need for a stable, usable system far outweighs the considerable benefits of PF. I wish Cocoatech well and hope that they sort this mess out and manage to keep enough old users and bring in enough new users to stay afloat. It was good while it lasted.

1. 1 Posted by nate.zyontz on 18 Jul, 2018 05:03 PM

Agreed. Too many problems with no real overall benefit. It's a shame but I have to move away from this solution.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 07:39 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jul, 2018 07:39 PM

4. 2 Posted by marshallhill on 31 Jul, 2018 11:07 PM

I can relate. Very similar history with Path Finder and PF8 experience for me. I'm done done done! And I'm afraid I didn't give up soon enough, kept fussing with it thinking I was doing something wrong. Hunting solutions out on the net and trying to communicate with until my frustration just boiled over. I wasn't nearly as kind to them in my thread as you were in yours.

Now, at the end of a couple of days of this BS, and already running ForkLift 3, I'm just reading through a few others' threads about PF8, before I leave this site once and for all. I'm interested because I think there are important lessons here about product development, customer support, and how a company can screw up. It will be interesting to watch and see if they pull out of this or crash.

5. 3 Posted by 4doyle on 01 Aug, 2018 10:21 AM

I am in the same boat. PF8 has to go.
    What I will need is Batch Rename that is a good as PFs. Anybody have any good recommendations?

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:18 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:18 PM

8. 4 Posted by Ben on 05 Aug, 2018 09:42 PM

I've been using A Better Finder Rename for years without issue. I prefer it to PF's batch rename.

9. 5 Posted by Radd on 06 Aug, 2018 05:03 PM

Name Mangler by Many Tricks is pretty great for batch rename. They've got a few good utilities worth a look besides as well.

https://manytricks.com/namemangler/

10. 6 Posted by 4doyle on 06 Aug, 2018 05:09 PM

Thanks guys.

I have been using the Finder lately and it is a lot better than I remember. I guess I was using PF for so long. Mac is nice and snappy and I don't worry or check how much memory PF is consuming before it drag down or causes the mac to hang.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 01:37 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 01:37 PM

13. 7 Posted by webregnet on 07 Aug, 2018 05:18 PM

+1 with you @Terry Harpold

I will be back with PF8 when Settings folders will be different from PF7 and when the app will be named 'Path Finder 8'
    Don't want to mix/loose my settings again just to test if PF8 is good enough.

@4doyle ForkLift does the same job batch renaming as PF7

14. 8 Posted by marshallhill on 07 Aug, 2018 06:28 PM

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 06:30 PM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 06:30 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac