Loyalty

andrew.connected

08 Jul, 2018 11:56 PM

I just thought it worth saying that despite my unhappiness with the degraded functionality of the PF8 sidebar (and the PF8 drop stack, for that matter), I went ahead and upgraded my license. As a long time user of PF I have seen too much good work come out of Cocoatech to walk away from them, at least at this point. I like superior software, and Pathfinder is one of a handful of apps for me (others include DragThing and Default Folder) that I find to be an indispensable part of using a Mac. Excellence in the world is rare, and when I see it I latch onto it. It’s also something of a depressing truth that even a degraded PF is still, for me, better than any other Finder alternative that’s out there. Maybe I should’ve been more tough-minded and refused to upgrade until Cocoatech addressed my feedback. Maybe I’ll come to regret ponying up for the upgrade fee. I hope not. In any case, I’m still hoping that Cocoatech will take my criticisms (and those of other users on the sidebar issue) to heart and restore this missing functionality. Every time I get an alert on my Mac that there’s a PF8 update, I eagerly hope that it concerns the sidebar. I will continue to do so.

1. 1 Posted by Christopher Bra... on 09 Jul, 2018 09:39 AM

I fully degree. PF 8 is simply dysfunctional. Going the other way, from PF8 to PF7 would be experienced as a huge upgrade. I don't understand this, PF used to be an app you could trust.
    It's been a while now. I don't know whether I can trust Cocoatech in the future, given this downgrade of an app.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:46 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:48 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 09 Jul, 2018 04:48 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much for your support and feedback. 

PathFinder 8 is indeed missing some of the features we had in PathFinder 7. 
    But we see it as a good and stable foundation for further changes and improvements. 
    PathFinder 7 used very old APIs that are outdated by now. 
    It supported everything starting with macOS Lion. That started causing issues in newer macOS. 
    You are lucky not to have experienced them. This way, a re-write was necessary. 

But we surely do follow your suggestions and feedback; also, we appreciate your contribution and that you give us another chance by posting this message. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:48 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:48 PM

7. 3 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 10 Jul, 2018 12:19 AM

Jordan,
    In an ideal world, an app’s users and its programmers would automatically understand each other’s perspectives. What a shame that we don’t. I think it’s worth pointing out that my experience with Pathfinder as a user is radically different than your experience of it as a developer, so we stand on opposite edges of this wide chasm and only see each other from afar. In this particular case, as a user, I would have preferred it if you had prepared me in advance for the temporary downgrade of PF8 with a note of explanation: “Here’s what’s coming down the pike, here’s why we have to do it, we’d rather not have to do it, we apologize in advance, but we think you’re really going to like Pathfinder a lot better in the long run.” Something like that (and by the way, Apple should have done it that way with Final Cut Pro too). Just tell us, Jordan! Give us a heads up! :-) A little sugar with that bitter medicine is always appreciated. Then we won’t piss ourselves and post so many mean things on your forums, and we can all get through this unpleasantness a little better. I can only imagine what it must be like for you to use the old APIs -- probably like walking around with a ball and chain clapped to your ankle. I get that. Ugh! Awful! But it’s no picnic when one of your favorite apps slaps you in the face without warning either (take it from me).
    Kind regards,
    Andy

8. 4 Posted by Christopher Bra... on 10 Jul, 2018 05:32 AM

Jordan,

thank you for taking the time to answer and providing background information. The need to rewrite code because of old APIs is of course understandable, as is the frustration such a rewriting of code must cause. Thank you for making this clear.

Telling users why PF no longer is a working product would certainly have given you patience from users. But months have gone by and all the user sees is a PF that no longer works (leaving aside that features are lost). I'm still worried when Cocoatech now describes PF 8 as a "stable foundation for further changes".

For me, the best solution is to go back to PF 7. After using PF 8, the old PF 7 comes across as surprisingly fast and full of features! It's indeed a marvelous app and an upgrade from PF 8, both in user experience and overall features. Not least, gone is the unpleasant experiences of the new module system in PF 8.

PF 7 still works flawlessly - at least for now. Whenever it stops working, I will look for alternatives. Hopefully, PF 8 has matured by then. Good luck with the further development of PF 8.

Kind regards,
    Christopher

9. 5 Posted by enkaytee on 11 Jul, 2018 08:05 AM

I feel the same. As a user of Pathfinder since version 4, I've always found the app to be a far superior Mac file manager than any other I've experienced - until version 8. I paid for the upgrade without a lot of testing as I trusted the developers to have improved the app, as they've always done before, but I quickly realised that (for me) that PF8 is a step backwards in usability and reliability. I really dislike the Module concept - it's really clunky compared to the shelves of previous versions. The Drop Stack is real step backwards in terms of functionality - no visibility of contents without additional interaction. What's worse for me is that while I was able to set up a sidebar with my specific favorites it proved totally impossible to make it 'stick' reliably - a restart of PF or opening a new browser would revert the layout to the PF 'default'.
    Any interactions with 'Jordan' in the forum just end up with stock answers, which are actually often meaningless and display a lack of understanding of the real issues underlying this release. I got a refund on my $20 upgrade and will keep an eye on progress of PF, but I'm really losing any confidence that this once indispensable app will ever work for me again.

10. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2018 08:26 PM.

11. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2018 08:26 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac