Dark theme... dark theme... dark theme...

etc

07 Jul, 2018 04:52 PM

First of all, I would like to thank CocoaTech for making Path Finder as good as it is today: I have been a happy Path Finder user for many years. Having said that, I'm less happy each day due to CocoaTech's unwillingness to provide its users with a dark theme option. This has been requested on numerous occasions going back at least four years (!), which in "software years" is equivalent to taking us back to the stone age.

Dark theme is not simply a "niche" feature for many users. For instance, plenty of power users work deep into the night and the lack of dark theme is hurting our eyes! And if I had to make an uneducated guess: virtually all of your customers are power users. These days, a dark theme option is provided by most professional level applications (the ones used by people to get some actual work done). Please take our requests serious and stop acting so indifferent towards your users regarding this matter.

I was hopeful that v8 would bring us that dark theme option, but alas... So, I have not yet forked out money for an upgrade to v8 because for me there simply is no reason to do so (there's nothing new in the upgrade that would improve my Path Finder experience). A dark theme option however, would have me happily fork out the money for the upgrade instantly. We want to support you by giving our money so that you can continue making Path Finder even better, but we also want to have our voices heard.

As a software developer myself I realise that crafting a new theme can take a lot of effort, but I am also aware that it is not rocket science and totally doable in most circumstances. I am also well aware that your team will likely have a lot of extra work on their hands due to the introduction of Apple's new File System (APFS), so I guess we'll have to be patient right now. But you can't ask us to be patient for ever. Otherwise you might find that at least a few of us will start looking for alternatives.

And on that note: I suspect your users will appreciate it if your support staff would keep these threads open for further discussion rather than always closing them immediately (which comes across to me as a little disdainful). After all, doesn't this discussion area say: "Welcome to the public discussion area. You can read and respond to discussions other people have posted, or create your own discussion in the category of your choice." No discussion is possible when you keep closing these threads!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 08 Jul, 2018 01:39 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback!

With Mojave coming, I can confirm that our developers are considering adding an option of the dark theme. 

The forum is integrated with our CRM system and it automatically closes tickets after each reply.
    Every new reply reopens it, so other users should be able to comment and subscribe to your thread regardless of its status. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 08 Jul, 2018 01:39 PM.

3. etc re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2018 11:55 PM

4. 2 Posted by etc on 11 Jul, 2018 11:55 PM

Great to hear that support for a dark theme is finally coming. I think a lot of people will be looking forward to it.

I did not know that discussions could be opened up again. I generally block javascript when browsing websites, and without it, the "re-open discussion" box does not appear. To me, it just looked like these discussions were constantly being shut down immediately.

Thanks for the info and please keep up the good work!

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Jul, 2018 03:12 PM

Hi,

Oh, I see why it appears to be shut down for some of our users now. Thank you for the feedback. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 03:12 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 03:13 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac