Where's Places in PF8

Joseph

18 Jun, 2018 09:42 AM

Just downloaded/installed latest version of PF8 (upgrade from 7). Upon startup saw that my sidebar from 7 has changed. "Places" is missing. Is that a change from PF7 or something to be added in a future version of 8?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Jun, 2018 02:23 PM

Hi Joseph,

Places aren't available in PathFinder 8 now. 
    It's often questioned by our users so our developers will consider making changes here. 
    You can drag Folders to the "Favorites" section in PathFinder 8 Sidebar but files, apps or aliases can't be added there. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 02:23 PM.

3. Joseph re-opened this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 06:58 PM

4. 2 Posted by Joseph on 18 Jun, 2018 06:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I don't understand why Places would not be a feature in PF8? While I appreciate that Cocoatech is rebuilding the app from the ground up to keep pace with the OS evolution, it doesn't make sense that basic features such as Places would not be carried fwd from 7 to 8. At a minimum, these type of changes or omissions ought to be better explained in the upgrade notes. Now I need to rebuild my sidebars under Favorites, which is tedious at best.

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 07:03 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 07:03 PM

7. 3 Posted by stephan on 30 Sep, 2018 10:19 AM

I support this - bring "Places" back. THX

8. 4 Posted by Joseph on 30 Sep, 2018 10:49 AM

Ditto. I've used PF since v 4. Now, reverted back to PF 7. I'll wait for Places to return to 8. If it doesn't, then I'll stay with 7 as long as useful. Very disappointed. Don't agree with the developers decisions regarding PF 8. Equally, communication of what has been removed etc. would have been helpful when making the decision to upgrade.

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Sep, 2018 03:26 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 30 Sep, 2018 03:26 PM

11. 5 Posted by mokillya on 20 Oct, 2018 04:18 PM

Very, very long time Pathfinder user - and this is the first time in a long time that I've stayed with an old version rather than moving to the new version (even though I paid for 8).

Just wanted to +1 this whole discussion - Places, and specifically the ability to have a set of folders distinct from the finder Favorites, is one of the primary reasons I use Pathfinder. Amongst other things, it lets me use Finder for simple personal stuff, while organizing a set of folders in Places that I can use for work Projects for quickly dropping files in different locations etc. Unfortunately PF 8 is simply unusable for me without it.

I hope that some effort is made to re-add it going forward. Thanks!

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Oct, 2018 05:06 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Oct, 2018 05:06 PM

14. 6 Posted by Corey on 22 Oct, 2018 06:03 AM

HELP! I have used PF for years and in the new ver 8 I can not see how to display the side bar which includes Places, desktop, downloads and other folders that were displayed there in the past.

Please let me know how to display this very useful view.

Thanks!

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 22 Oct, 2018 07:46 AM

Hi, 

Please use Window > Modules and drag Sidebar module into PF window. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2018 07:46 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac