External monitor: Browser window position & layout forgotten

Sam

14 Jun, 2018 09:35 AM

I always have a Path Finder browser set up on an second monitor (using Spaces; see screenshot_2715 attached). When I quit and restart Path Finder, the window appears on my laptop's display, and its layout is all screwed up (see screenshot_2716 attached).

A wrinkle… I had been launching Path Finder by clicking on the Dock icon. The Dock is on my laptop's screen. If instead I make sure the focus is on my external monitor Space, then launch PF by using Spotlight (so that Spotlight shows up on the external Space and thus the focus remains there), the window position is correct! The browser layout is also more correct, in that the location of the two-pane split is maintained, but the size of the right sidebar is ridiculous (screenshot_2718 attached).

Obviously my preferred behavior would be for the window position and browser layout to persist across app restarts, regardless of where the OS focus is (not sure if I'm using the right terminology there). My personal order of preference:

1. Always start a browser in the same Space on the same monitor.
  2. If same Space is not available but same monitor is, start in whatever Space is active on that monitor. (Not sure whether this can be detected by PF.)
  3. If same monitor is not available (or this can't be detected by PF), start in whatever Space has focus, but with relative sizes of each pane maintained (rather than trying to maintain size of left pane while sacrificing right pane, as illustrated in screenshot_2716.png).

I'm using Path Finder 8.0.2 (1871) and MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

1. 1 Posted by Sam on 14 Jun, 2018 09:42 AM

Sorry, I was incorrect about screenshot_2718. When I drag the right sidebar back to its correct position, the pane split has the same problem as in screenshot_2716.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 18 Jun, 2018 02:47 PM

Hi Sam, 

Thanks for reporting this issue! 

Unfortunately, external monitor integration in PathFinder isn't perfect at the moment. 
    Forwarding the additional details to our developers now. 

Make sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

3. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 02:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac