PF8 issues so far

groomedmonkey

10 Jun, 2018 09:01 AM

I like some of the ideas in PF8 but this feels a bit like a beta in some respects. Here are my issues with it so far:

• Horrible blinking terminal cursor (no optionI could find to turn it off) makes it impossible to use this module. It's very distracting, especially the default block + red.
  • When Toolbar (top) is hidden the standard 1px border line between the top bar and the app is missing and looks unpolished/wrong.
  • Modules is a great idea but it desperately begs for a way to save window "profiles" and be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to quickly recall specific ones. It is tedious to rearrange them.
  • A menu/keyboard shortcut to "Hide all modules" would also be great, it can get awfully cluttered with no quick escape.
  • Sidebar as a module needs to remember its settings and favourites as if you close and add it again it's all lost and I am left very aggravated.
  • The animation in/out of dual pane is so jerky that the first time I did it I thought PF8 was about to crash. Could also be faster as it currently feels slow as well and I'd prefer it snap in than animate this way.
  • Can't double click dual pane divider to have it centre itself. Better yet, a step forward from PF7 would be that it always opens centred by default (re-evaluates view width).
  • 2nd pane of dual pane doesn't open same location; instead it opens the home folder which is annoying and wasn't like this in PF7.
  • More Info pop up box isn't clipping the file title so that the file size is visible. The Finder and PF7 did do this.

Suggestions:

• Basic Markdown support in Preview Module would be welcome.
  • Menu item to "Open in other pane" would be nice to quickly open a folder in the opposite dual pane. I know you can drag folder to other pane's tab bar but who has time for so much mousing?
  • Why isn't transfer progress a module?

I love PF but this is a disappointing release.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM

Hi Philip,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. 

Just wanted to point out that PathFinder 8 is a good foundation for further changes and improvements. 

Feel free to write more should any further ideas/questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM

4. 2 Posted by psychiatry on 11 Jun, 2018 06:59 AM

I hope Cocoatech makes rapid improvements to PathFinder 8 as they did with PathFinder 7.

One thing: It is important to use a different folder in the Application Support folder to contain the preferences for PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8. This way we can use both simultaneously. This is similar to how we can use multiple versions of Filemaker Pro simultaneously.

Currently, If I use PathFinder 8, it erases the customizations I did for PathFinder 7. this makes it very difficult to use PathFinder 8 with its current limitations.

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 03:22 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 03:22 PM

7. 3 Posted by groomedmonkey on 14 Jun, 2018 03:54 PM

Yeah I am hoping for the best with this release.

Also, the rounded corners of the tabs has bothered me for a few releases; it makes the UI look old.

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:23 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:23 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac