PF8 issues so far

groomedmonkey

10 Jun, 2018 09:01 AM

I like some of the ideas in PF8 but this feels a bit like a beta in some respects. Here are my issues with it so far:

• Horrible blinking terminal cursor (no optionI could find to turn it off) makes it impossible to use this module. It's very distracting, especially the default block + red.
  • When Toolbar (top) is hidden the standard 1px border line between the top bar and the app is missing and looks unpolished/wrong.
  • Modules is a great idea but it desperately begs for a way to save window "profiles" and be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to quickly recall specific ones. It is tedious to rearrange them.
  • A menu/keyboard shortcut to "Hide all modules" would also be great, it can get awfully cluttered with no quick escape.
  • Sidebar as a module needs to remember its settings and favourites as if you close and add it again it's all lost and I am left very aggravated.
  • The animation in/out of dual pane is so jerky that the first time I did it I thought PF8 was about to crash. Could also be faster as it currently feels slow as well and I'd prefer it snap in than animate this way.
  • Can't double click dual pane divider to have it centre itself. Better yet, a step forward from PF7 would be that it always opens centred by default (re-evaluates view width).
  • 2nd pane of dual pane doesn't open same location; instead it opens the home folder which is annoying and wasn't like this in PF7.
  • More Info pop up box isn't clipping the file title so that the file size is visible. The Finder and PF7 did do this.

Suggestions:

• Basic Markdown support in Preview Module would be welcome.
  • Menu item to "Open in other pane" would be nice to quickly open a folder in the opposite dual pane. I know you can drag folder to other pane's tab bar but who has time for so much mousing?
  • Why isn't transfer progress a module?

I love PF but this is a disappointing release.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM

Hi Philip,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. 

Just wanted to point out that PathFinder 8 is a good foundation for further changes and improvements. 

Feel free to write more should any further ideas/questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 08:39 PM

4. 2 Posted by psychiatry on 11 Jun, 2018 06:59 AM

I hope Cocoatech makes rapid improvements to PathFinder 8 as they did with PathFinder 7.

One thing: It is important to use a different folder in the Application Support folder to contain the preferences for PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8. This way we can use both simultaneously. This is similar to how we can use multiple versions of Filemaker Pro simultaneously.

Currently, If I use PathFinder 8, it erases the customizations I did for PathFinder 7. this makes it very difficult to use PathFinder 8 with its current limitations.

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 03:22 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 03:22 PM

7. 3 Posted by groomedmonkey on 14 Jun, 2018 03:54 PM

Yeah I am hoping for the best with this release.

Also, the rounded corners of the tabs has bothered me for a few releases; it makes the UI look old.

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:23 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:23 PM

10. 4 Posted by groomedmonkey on 27 Jul, 2018 01:27 PM

If the Sidebar module has to reset itself when it it re-instanced. It would be if it just used the default Finder Favourites if that were technically possible. I think it is terrible to have to manage two separate, disconnected sets of favourites and on top of that PF8's set being "unstable".

Also... some UI text is not legible at all. See attached image. This is yet another thing I would have thought a proper beta test would catch.

11. Support Staff 5 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 28 Jul, 2018 02:53 PM

Hi, 

The API for that functionality (syncing "Favorites" and in general all those "Recent…" lists) was deprecated and abandoned a long time ago. In each new version of PF it worked worse. We tried having that as long as possible, but we cross the point at which it became a liability and not feature. It became a real pain, both in customer support and code maintenance. We don't want to make any kind of excuses here, but in this case, it's really Apple to blame. As far as we know, no other 3rd party application offers that sort of synchronization, even if they did they gave up a long time ago. We kept it as long as possible, but the burden of supporting it became just too overwhelming for the benefits it provides.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Jul, 2018 02:53 PM.

13. groomedmonkey re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 02:14 PM

14. 6 Posted by groomedmonkey on 31 Jul, 2018 02:14 PM

Hey Jordan,

That isn't good and annoying that Apple abandoned the API that would make this feature much better. Is it possible to at least have PF refer internally to saved Sidebar settings so that it doesn't have to be re-configured and Favourites completely re-setup each time it is instanced (Sidebar module dragged out)? I quite liked PF7 Library/Favourites/ method but in PF8 I am finding it safer to not use the sidebar at all.

Also, I noticed a new bug when compressing files with the builtin Stuffit Expander. It completely screws up file date stamps and cause all sorts of issues on other file systems and sync apps. See attached screenshot for files that have been compressed with PF8 and have Modified timestamps decades into the future...

15. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 31 Jul, 2018 04:49 PM

Hi, 

You can save Sidebar preferences (little gear button next to its header), have you tried doing so? 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 04:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac