Tag parameter error again: sometimes a spurious "New Folder" request gets triggered

thomas

09 Jun, 2018 04:08 PM

I see the same problem described by @wealthychef here, but I'm seeing another problem as well. Sometimes when I close the error dialog box, another box pops up asking me what I want to call the new folder -- i.e. as if I'd hit Shift-Cmd-N or Ctrl-Cmd-N. I cannot reliably reproduce this, but it happens reasonably frequently.

(FYI, I ran 'xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"' as suggested in that other thread and got null response. I assume that means I do not have the quarantine extended thing, whatever that is.)

T

P.S. [The following would have been better added to @wealthychef's original thread, but that's now closed (for a second time). Why do bug threads get closed so quickly anyway?] So, FWIW, I don't think the tagging problem itself is just about number of files involved. I think it may have something to do with what happens when trying a tagging operation on multiple files that are already in different tagging states (e.g. some are tagged and some are not).

For example, if I have two files tagged Red, and then I: select both; right-click (on either); then left-click on the Red tagging dot, they get untagged as expected. Worth noting is that the mouseover text I see just before hitting the Red tagging dot is, 'Remove tag "Red"'. All as expected.

But if only one of the two files is tagged to begin with, and again I: select both; right-click (on either); then left-click on the Red tagging dot, I get the tag parameter error. And this time the mouseover text I see just before hitting the Red tagging dot is, 'Add tag "Red"'.

So, maybe something to do with the fact that the mix of tagged and non-tagged means that there is an attempt to add a Red tag to an already-Red-tagged file? Shrug.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 15 Jun, 2018 04:54 PM

Hi Thomas,

Sorry for the late reply. 

Please confirm if you will experience this issue with the latest version of PathFinder. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 04:54 PM.

3. thomas re-opened this discussion on 17 Jun, 2018 02:12 AM

4. 2 Posted by thomas on 17 Jun, 2018 02:12 AM

Hi Jordan,

Sorry, I should have said at the time which version I was using. It's version 8.0.2 (1871), which I believe is currently the latest.

t

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 17 Jun, 2018 12:23 PM

Hi Thomas,

That's right, dual browser behavior changed since PF8 was re-written from a scratch for the sake of stability.
    Does it cause you any troubles this way? 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Jun, 2018 12:23 PM.

7. thomas re-opened this discussion on 19 Jun, 2018 02:28 AM

8. 4 Posted by thomas on 19 Jun, 2018 02:28 AM

That's right, dual browser behavior changed... ...Does it cause you any troubles this way?

Troubles? You mean other than what I've described to you personally in detail in the conversation we've been having here: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/104502-in-dual-br... ? No, other than that "trouble", everything is cool. Well, that's a bit overstated. Let's just say that nothing is sufficiently uncool that it's worth my while taking the time to bring it to your attention. Pity that -- a user-tester converts to a user-can't-be-bothered-testing. Something to be learned from that I think..just can't remember what it is...

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Oh, come on now; I think we both know that's not true. But maybe insert "a fourth time" after "back", and "try desperately to" between "to" and "assist", and then you might have something ;-)

t

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 06:47 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 06:47 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac