Get Recent Lists OUT of Dock Icon Context Menu

John

05 Jun, 2018 09:22 PM

I love Path Finder. I've always kept it in a prime position in my dock, used it as my default file manager. But I just upgraded to Path Finder 8, and happened to notice that if I right click on the dock icon, the context menu begins with two lists of "recent" files. This is totally unacceptable. I often access sensitive materials, and the last thing I want is a record of those that others can check later.

Setting Recent Documents and Folders to 0 and restarting the app did not affect this. Nor did clearing both. I can find no options affecting the recording nor display of these recent items. Please tell me ASAP how to immediately and permanently disable this alarming security threat.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Jun, 2018 05:24 PM

Hi John,

Please attach a screenshot of the "recent" files list you mentioned so we avoid confusion. 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 05:24 PM.

3. John re-opened this discussion on 07 Jun, 2018 09:08 PM

4. 2 Posted by John on 07 Jun, 2018 09:08 PM

No. The whole problem here is sensitivity about the existence of such lists and the elements listed. I most certainly will not attach a screen shot and share it with the world.

But I'm happy to clarify: when I right-click on the PathFinder icon in the dock (which I occasionally do to quit PF, for example), the top 11 listings are files I've opened in the past. I called them "recent" because some were months ago. Then there's a divider line, and then another list, this containing one folder (with a diamond, probably because I'm currently viewing it) and 12 other files (not folders) I've opened/viewed in the past. Then another divider line, and finally the expected menu command options like Home, Documents, ..., Quit.

PF7 did not do this to me. I'm sure they help some users, but these lists are absolutely unacceptable for me. I need them cleared and disabled, or I simply cannot use PF any more.

Under no circumstances should any program be recording what I access and making lists of it available to all future users of my machine without my permission. This is extremely disturbing.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 11 Jun, 2018 08:21 PM

Hi John,

I'm afraid there is not much we can do here. 
    I suppose you've already removed recent lists from your Sidebar, haven't you? 
    Use Sidebar preferences (gear button next to its header) in order to do so. 

Also, please try: 
    Go > Recent Folders > Recent Folders > 0
    Go > Recent Files > Recent Files > 0

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 08:21 PM.

7. John re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 11:56 PM

8. 4 Posted by John on 11 Jun, 2018 11:56 PM

Thanks Jordan. I appreciate your attempt to help, but as you'd already surmised, I've already done the steps you suggested and none help at all. These are some other lists that are both populated and displayed without my permission.

Regrettably, this is completely unacceptable, at least for me. I'd like to request a refund for PF8. If possible, I'd love to go back to PF7. Can this be done? I've used Path Finder for years quite happily. But I will not use any program that tracks the files I access and displays this to all users of my machine.

Please let me know about return/refund, and hopefully reversion to PF7. Thanks.

9. 5 Posted by imusrad on 12 Jun, 2018 10:27 AM

Ey Jonh i don't know ig you know but all programs save a list of all files7folders you recently open, from pages, word, photos even Apple's Finder have the Recent Folders menu.

And if you don't wnat to anybody see the folders your visiting or the files you open then just create a diferente user in your mac. Like everybody does.

10. 6 Posted by John on 13 Jun, 2018 01:07 AM

Thanks for trying to help, but no, that's actually quite wrong. Not a single other app in my dock has this. Not one. If I right-click others, I typically get a menu with options, hide, or quit.

Some programs have recent lists but many do not. When they do, in all other cases I have recent files turned off or set to zero. PF8 -- and only PF8, ever -- has insisted upon keeping and displaying a list I do not want.

PF7 did not do it, nor 6, nor 5...

I have no idea why this was added without any user option to hide or turn off. I absolutely will not use this unless it is fixed.

Cocoatech, may I please return this unwanted update, and go back to PF7?

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 04:32 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 04:34 PM

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Jun, 2018 04:34 PM

Hi John, 

First of all, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience. 

Here's the link to PathFinder 7 should you decide to downgrade: https://get.cocoatech.com/PF7.zip

Most of the time PF7 will work fine, but if you made some certain changes in settings, it may just hang after launch, not showing any window.
    If you want to go back using PF7, you may need to delete folder "~/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/Settings/Data Store", where "~" is your home folder.
    After that PF7 will work fine. 

We also recommend disabling the automatic update checker in Path Finder > Preferences > General. 

Be sure to let us know should any further questions arise. 

Best Regards, 
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 04:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac