Testing PF 8 deleted PF 7 preferences & I WANT MY SHELF BACK!

Alan Harper

05 Jun, 2018 01:50 PM

I installed the new Path Finder 8 and was disappointed to see that the shelf has been eliminated from the program. For me, the shelf was the single most important feature in Path Finder.

I relaunched Path Finder 7 (having moved it to the trash and then back to my Applications Folder), and I see that all my preferences have been deleted, including my carefully curated shelf. Now, when I use Path Finder 7, Find no longer works. For a while, launching PF 7 would automatically launch PF 8 as well.

It seems that I have lost the ability to run PF 7 and do not want to upgrade to PF 8. I'll reboot and see if this gets better, but for right now, I am not a happy camper.

===

Added a few hours later: I have no idea why I lost all my PF 7 preferences, but they were gone. Searching stopped working in Path Finder 7.

[Before running PF 8, cmd-F would bring up a search in the terminal pane (if displayed), and I would have to remember to click in a file browser pane if I wanted to search for a file. After running PF 8, cmd-F would highlight a terminal pane (if any) but not bring up a find dialog. Clicking on a file browser pane and then typing cmd-F would bring up the correct file search pane, but searches would never complete successfully, no matter the criteria used.]

I tried to restore my preferences using the Finder (a tough job since both ~/Library and /Library in Time Machine are invisible!), but it didn't seem to help.

I have now restored my disk from a Time Machine backup, and will continue using PF 7 until

a) it is now longer viable to use it
b) I fall in love with a different Finder replacement
c) the shelf returns to PF 8

If anyone has ideas about how I can keep from having my PF 7 preferences deleted when I try out PF 8 in the future, please let me know. I guess I could do it in a separate user login until I am sure that I like PF 8.

A

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 06 Jun, 2018 04:27 PM

Hi Alan,

Please confirm, are you referring to the Shelf module or shelves that contained modules? 
    Just to make sure that we understand each other, modules are available via Window > Modules in PF8 now, have you tried them? 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by the update. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 04:27 PM.

3. Alan Harper re-opened this discussion on 12 Jun, 2018 02:20 PM

4. 2 Posted by Alan Harper on 12 Jun, 2018 02:20 PM

Hi Jordan. I missed your reply.

I mean the shelf module. As others have pointed out, for many of us, using the shelf to navigate around one's computer is by far the most useful feature in Path Finder. It is true genius, and, for me, the reason to continue using PF 7. I really hope you can re-implement it.

Thanks for the response.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 13 Jun, 2018 03:31 PM

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the feedback. 

We've already forwarded a feature-request to our developers to bring shelves back. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jun, 2018 03:31 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac