default module layout not saved

Mike

02 Jun, 2018 11:21 PM

anytime my mac reboots the modules revert back to the factory settings, how do I save the window layout of the modules?

1. 1 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 01:48 PM

1. Show the Preferences Popup Window of the Module (the ratchet icon).
    2. Go to the bottom of the Popup Preference Popup Window and select Save... to create a customized and saved settings for that module.
  2. 2 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 02:07 PM

MISSING FEATURE: NO MULTiPLE CUSTOM SIDEBARS - PathFinder 8 only has one sidebar which you have to rebuild from what you have with the Finder. The rebuild is limited to folders since it cannot accept Aliases and Symbolic Links like the Finder Sidebar

CORRECTION:

I FOUND YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE CUSTOM SIDEBARS*

IT IS NOT OBVIOUS as in PathFinder 7.

1) You have to click the ratchet icon of the Sidebar to popup the Sidebar Preferences

2) You have to go to the bottom of the Sidebar Preferences to click on the UNLABLED Popup Button. There you select SAVE... to create a custom Sidebar by giving it a name and saving it.

3) You then select from the UNLABLED Popup Button the custom Sidebar you want.

WARNING

Everytime you add or remove a folder to or from Favorites, you have to create another custom sidebar.

Otherwise, the newly added folder will NOT be automatically saved by PathFinder.

This behavior is different from PathFinder 7 where Sidebar Favorites are automatically saved.

LINK: https://i.imgur.com/93KKMyl.png

INLINE IMAGE: Pathfinder Custom Sidebars

3. 3 Posted by enkaytee on 03 Jun, 2018 02:47 PM

Yes, you CAN save custom layouts for the sidebar and browsers but the current implementation seems to have a significant failing - there's no obvious way to save a setup as the default - there is a 'default' sidebar layout in the list but that cannot be overwritten - if you name a custom layout 'default' PF8 creates a second layout with the same name! The real problem for me is that however much work I put into setting up the sidebar, browser layout and other modules I have never been able to have them reload automatically every time I open a new browser or restart the app / my Mac. So far, Cocoatech haven't seemed to recognise that this is a real issue - simply stating that you can save the settings for modules isn't helping. As I've said before, I'm back on PF7 and getting a refund for the upgrade.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:02 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:02 PM

6. 4 Posted by Dan on 08 Jun, 2018 01:42 AM

I'm new to PF (shout out to Merlin Mann and David Sparks), and I've just found a layout that I really like.
    I can't seem to be able to save this layout.

Tried so far:
    - File > Save Browser (I'm not sure what this does, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me - I've tested various things with the file browser, saved multiple versions, tried to load, and it doesn't seem to load anything based on what I'd saved.) - Saved each module as a new name, and locked them.

Is this a bug or is this the way PF works?
    It seems odd to me that PF wouldn't offer a way to save my layout, but I'm only a week into using this tool and I'm not sure of the history

Either way, this thing is freaking awesome, and I'd like to see a way to save multiple layouts for various purposes.

7. 5 Posted by enkaytee on 08 Jun, 2018 05:08 AM

Hi Dan - the new version of Path Finder is more of a downgrade from previous ones. If you read the posts in the forum you'll see that there have been changes in the way it works that haven't been well thought out or adequately explained. The basic ability to save a chosen layout seems to be completely impossible - Cocoatech and their supporters in the forum keep saying it is but then give no clear instructions. For me, the older version was a much better product and probably the one that Merlin Mann and David Sparks recommended - I don't know what they'd make of PF8!

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jun, 2018 03:17 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jun, 2018 03:17 PM

10. 6 Posted by Dan on 14 Jun, 2018 06:22 AM

I just downloaded PF7 and I definitely feel like PF8 is a great upgrade with a few bugs.

Just for my own confirmation here - is the ability to 'save layouts' a feature of pathfinder?

I'm noticing that in PF lexicon 'Save Browser' doesn't necessarily refer to the entire layout - just the 'browsing window' - and I haven't noticed an option to save a custom 'layout' per-se. Is this correct?

Is the feature I'm describing something that PF offers already, and the current version has a 'bug'? Or is the ability to save 'custom layouts' more of a feature request?

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 02:04 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 02:04 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac