Favourites not linked with Finder anymore update 8.0.1

M

02 Jun, 2018 11:53 AM

Hi,

Just installed 8.0.1 and favourites are gone... not the one I had before (that are still in Finder... )

and now the sidebar disappear and cannot find the way to get it back...
really messy to update... would better have not done it...

1. 1 Posted by a.katanovic on 02 Jun, 2018 10:21 PM

Yes, I have also noticed that favorites in PF 8 are not lonked with the favories on Finder. That is very disapointing.

Best regards,
    Aleksandar

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 06:40 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 06:41 PM

4. Support Staff 2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 03 Jun, 2018 06:41 PM

Hi,

Please use Window > Modules and drag Sidebar module into PathFinder window. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 06:41 PM.

6. a.katanovic re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 10:12 PM

7. 3 Posted by a.katanovic on 03 Jun, 2018 10:12 PM

It does not solve the problem. It only places the Sidebar, but the Favorite items in the Sidebar are not synced with the Finder Favorites.

There are also other issues, such as the weird behavior of split pane, which does not duplicate the current location prior to the split.

For this reason, I have uninstalled PF 8 and reinstalled PF 7.

Aleksandar

8. 4 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 10:59 PM

The Finder sidebar synchronization had to be removed from PathFinder 8 since Apple removed the programming APIs that allowed this.

To improve on the current sidebar implementation I wish:

1) Reinstate the Show Sidebar Menu Item in the View Menu. This can pop open an empty sidebar if no module is active. But that is OK. The lack of a show sidebar menu item is disorienting since it is expected behavior from a Finder replacement.

2) If no sidebar is active then activate the last selected sidebar when the show sidebar menu item is selected. This would go a long way to improving the interface.

3) Reinstate custom sidebars as in Pathfinder 7 Favorite items should be automatically saved when added. Currently, you have to save a new custom sidebar setting everytime you add or remove a favorite item from the sidebar.

4) Reinstate adding aliases and symbolic links to the sidebar. Pathfinder 7 allowed this. This is independent of what the Finder is doing.

5) Make module addition simpler by adding an add-module menu to every area where modules can be added. For example, for the sidebar, this can be added to the ratchet icon. Or even add a plus icon to do this.

2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on May 23, 2018 @ 12:19 PM

Hi Nigel,

We are really sorry about this not working anymore. 
    The API for that functionality (syncing "Favorites" and 
    in general all those "Recent…" lists) was deprecated 
    and abandoned a long time ago. 

In each new version of PF it worked worse. 

We tried having that as long as possible, 
    but we cross the point at which it became a liability 
    and not feature. 

It became a real pain, both in customer support and 
    code maintenance. 

We don't want to make any kind of excuses here, 
    but in this case, it's really Apple to blame. 

As far as we know, no other 3rd party application offers 
    that sort of synchronization, even if they did they gave up 
    a long time ago. 

We kept it as long as possible, but the burden of 
    supporting it became just too overwhelming for the 
    benefits it provides.

Please feel free to write us back and we will 
    be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 03:19 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Jun, 2018 03:19 PM

11. 5 Posted by Philippe Doyle ... on 14 Jun, 2018 11:09 PM

Synchronising favourites between the sidebars of Pathfinder and Finder was very useful.

If the problem is with Apple, can you suggest work-arounds (e.g. If I could somehow manually add my Pathfinder favourites to Finder as a batch that would be helpful).

Thank you in anticipation.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:48 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 03:48 PM

14. 6 Posted by Ferdinand LaMot... on 20 Jun, 2018 12:06 PM

Also really miss sync between Apple Finder favorites and PF8. I relied on that as a core piece of PF's value to me.

If it is truly Apple, I guess there is nothing to be done. But if there is a work-around, please pursue it aggressively.

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 04:34 PM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jun, 2018 04:34 PM

17. 7 Posted by psychiatry on 30 Jun, 2018 06:09 AM

If Pathfinder 8 allowed aliases or symbolic links in the sidebar, it would be easy to have a work around that allows you to at least manually synchronize between the Finder and Pathfinder 8:

1) create a folder of Favorite Folders.

2) Store this next to the Favorites foder in /Users/youraccount/Library

3) add aliases or symbolic links to your sidebar folders to this Favorite Folders folder.

4) Add these aliases or symbolic links to the Finder Sidebar

5) Pathfinder's developers should create a feature where Pathfinder 8 can automatically create a sidebar from the Favorite Folders. If not, at least you can manually add these to the Pathfinder sidebar.

6) Pathfinder's developers should autosave the sidebar contents like Pathfinder 7 did.

7) Anytime you want to change the Finder's sidebar, simply create an alias or symbolic link to what you want to add to the side bar and store it in the Favorite Folders folder.

8) PathFinder 8 can have a feature to update the existing sidebar with the contents of the Favorite Folders folder.

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2018 04:32 PM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 30 Jun, 2018 04:32 PM

20. 8 Posted by Hurai Rody on 01 Aug, 2018 11:14 PM

I agree, this feature was really helpful and is sadly missed.

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 04:00 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 04:00 PM

23. 9 Posted by drjerryyan on 02 Aug, 2018 10:09 PM

I am VERY frustrated about this feature going away... I might as well go back to PF7

24. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:11 PM.

25. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:11 PM

26. 10 Posted by Karel on 15 Aug, 2018 08:48 AM

It's problem only version 8, version 7 works.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2018 02:53 PM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Aug, 2018 02:54 PM

29. 11 Posted by drjerryyan on 16 Aug, 2018 06:51 AM

Hi Karel

I do appreciate you staying up late to respond to every e-mail that comes in.

I have been using PF from 2012. So you can understand that this limitation in PF8 was a disappointment; coupled with the instability of the earlier versions of PF8, the transition was not a good experience and I almost regret upgrading since I now lost a favorite features (and the new features are not completely bug-free at this point).

I understand that this feature is not easily fixed… just put it on a desired feature list for now.

-jerry-

30. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 01:13 PM.

31. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 01:14 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac