PF8 Doesn't save favorites in Sidebar

James Hoyt

31 May, 2018 10:21 PM

Any favorites I make, mainly folders on my secondary drive, just vanish, sometimes when just making a new window. This is hard to duplicate.

Version 8.0 (1859)
Mac OS 10.12.6
3.43 GHz Intel Core i5
25 GBs of RAM (DDR3)

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by webregnet on 15 Sep, 2018 04:46 AM

Dont't waste your time writing here, it's useless :-(
    Uninstall PF8 and get back to PF7 or forget about it ;-P

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 15 Sep, 2018 02:54 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 15 Sep, 2018 02:54 PM

4. 32 Posted by leon_starr on 16 Sep, 2018 12:06 PM

Well, I finally got tired of wrestling with Pathfinder 8 and the whole coreservicesd issue and the sidebar problem and, most importantly, the almost total lack of customer support. So I downloaded Forklift 3. Sure, I would have preferred a functional Pathfinder as I've been using it since the beginning, but it's clearly time to move on. FL3 is lean, has a clean design, saves my favorites just fine in the sidebar, quality online documentation and they even have a smiley face in the tool bar to get customer feedback. It was fun while it lasted. So I'm uninstalling the whole mess and I'm outta here!

5. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Sep, 2018 02:19 PM.

6. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Sep, 2018 02:19 PM

7. 33 Posted by jimcamel on 16 Sep, 2018 02:43 PM

I too have the missing Favourites issue - and reported it in PF 8.0.xxx

Can we get some idea of when this will be addressed - as it is very frustrating. PF 8.1 crashes way more frequently than 7...and each time I have to start all the browser windows up and set them up again.....really breaks concentration.

8. 34 Posted by dmwesq on 16 Sep, 2018 06:55 PM

So sad to read all these comments. I had inquired if the memory leak from PF7 was fixed in PF8, and the response I got was it was best to try it on my own machine. Based upon what I read here I would not gamble with that upgrade, and I'm certainly not paying for it to have more headaches. Time to look for other alternatives - I guess I'll look at Forklift but my initial glance at FL doesn't actually impress me when I look at my workflow under PF7.

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 16 Sep, 2018 09:06 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 16 Sep, 2018 09:06 PM

11. 35 Posted by wealthychef on 13 Oct, 2018 02:43 PM

I have this problem too. If it was reported to cocoatech a month ago, it's hard to understand why they would not elevate it as a priority to fix...? What's the point of having a favorite that you have to keep putting back?

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:03 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Oct, 2018 06:03 PM

14. 36 Posted by John on 17 Oct, 2018 07:06 AM

I actually made the switch to FL3 a few months ago. I've been posting about how FL3 is an improvement in a lot of ways, such as a beautiful dark mode, amazing sidebar customization (you can create sidebar groups and rename sidebar items without renaming the original item), and a sleak UI. It's also worth noting that FL3 is basically free - I haven't been limited by the trial at all, and it doesn't expire. It's 100% an improvement over PF8.

But there are some issues with it, too. I am currently not able to drag an item from FL3 to any other app (i.e. chrome, another Finder window, itunes, etc.). FL3 has trouble with displaying window contents correctly at times (window needs to be reloaded), and cmd-z / undo barely works, which is a problem when you make multiple file changes that need to be reversed. Also, PF8 actually has FL3 beat in terms of customer service. There is no public forum for FL3, and when I submitted the bug report, all I got back was a two sentence email that said, "This is a known issue. Thanks for writing." I guess that's something?

I still recommend FL3 over PF8 for sure, but it does have some issues.

15. 37 Posted by wealthychef on 17 Oct, 2018 07:21 AM

I will try that out... is it better than PF7? I mean PF8 is useless to me so I downgraded (waste of $40 there). By FL3 I assume you mean "Forklift 3" right?
    Thanks

16. 38 Posted by John on 17 Oct, 2018 07:23 AM

Yup, FL3 is Forklift 3.

I think PF7 was the best before dark mode was a thing. Now I prefer FL3. Also, keep in mind that FL3 has a trial mode that is basically unlimited. I have been using it for two months and it hasn't expired and I'm not sure what the limitations on the trial mode even are. So, it's pretty much free, as far as I can tell.

17. 39 Posted by wealthychef on 17 Oct, 2018 07:24 AM

thanks for the tip, I'll look into it

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Oct, 2018 08:38 AM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Oct, 2018 08:39 AM

20. 40 Posted by Steve on 17 Oct, 2018 01:51 PM

Again, Pathfinder was the first thing I installed on any new mac. Not anymore. Cocoatech - bite the bullet, admin the PF 8 was a huge mistake, and simply improve PF 7.

Or at least tell everybody what your plan is, PF 8 is BROKEN and no one wants it. You're really giving everyone a terrible impression of a company we all used to like.

21. 41 Posted by wealthychef on 18 Oct, 2018 02:35 AM

This is the first time in decades of computer use that I have downgraded software because the new version is unusable. Cocoatech told me that the problems I'm having only affect a few users.

22. 42 Posted by billbowman on 18 Oct, 2018 12:25 PM

The favourites sidebar has been broken since version 8 was released (which was months ago). But hey, Dark Mode is nearly ready!

Does anyone else see the problem here?

23. 43 Posted by davido on 19 Oct, 2018 01:34 AM

Cocoatech told me that the problems I'm having only affect a few users.

Probably not totally wrong.. I stopped using PF 8, so the problems aren't affecting me any more..

I just will never use the product again.

24. 44 Posted by wealthychef on 19 Oct, 2018 01:53 AM

haha I thought the same thing -- that's because only a few users can probably stand PF 8.
    Sigh. At least 7 still works and I like the Terminal integration a lot because that's how I roll. Other than that, meh, I might just go back to, dare I say, it, McFinder. I mean the Mac Finder, sorry. I mean what is the point here?

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 19 Oct, 2018 08:34 AM.

26. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 19 Oct, 2018 08:34 AM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac