PF8 Doesn't save favorites in Sidebar

James Hoyt

31 May, 2018 10:21 PM

Any favorites I make, mainly folders on my secondary drive, just vanish, sometimes when just making a new window. This is hard to duplicate.

Version 8.0 (1859)
Mac OS 10.12.6
3.43 GHz Intel Core i5
25 GBs of RAM (DDR3)

1. 1 Posted by dtoub on 01 Jun, 2018 01:32 PM

Strange. Did you lock your sidebar preferences? Not sure it should matter but try that. It’s been pretty stable for me but I do find that if I accidentally drag a folder out it does disappear (locking only saves the settings like fonts etc).

2. 2 Posted by dhnyny on 02 Jun, 2018 12:43 AM

My experience--before I reverted to PF7--was that the sidebar module would always revert to its default settings if I closed it and then reopened it.

3. 3 Posted by Steve on 02 Jun, 2018 01:07 AM

I read this topic because with Pathfinder 8, I have totally lost the ability to drag folders into the side bar that I use most often. This really sucks. I totally hate version 8 because of that. To me, a bunch of mostly useless capability was added at the expense of what worked best.

4. 4 Posted by Joona Nuutinen on 02 Jun, 2018 06:30 AM

My favorites folders are not listed at all in PF8. This really slows me down so much that I have to use Finder at the moment.

5. 5 Posted by Ulf on 02 Jun, 2018 08:43 AM

Yes, Favorites are gone … What a stupid idea.
    BTW: What means ASL?

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 09:03 PM.

7. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 09:04 PM

8. 6 Posted by davido on 09 Jun, 2018 09:09 PM

Favorites works fine for me..

And yea I'd like to know what the ASL panel is too.. it's never done anything for me when I bring it up.

9. 7 Posted by Ulf on 09 Jun, 2018 09:48 PM

These are not the favorites we're talking about. There are favorites from the macOS Finder (a folder in the user's library folder with links to other folders) that could have been displayed in the sidebar – but now in PF 8 it's gone. In PathFinder 7 you could create such a link with Shift + Command + T (hope I remember that right).

10. 8 Posted by davido on 09 Jun, 2018 10:46 PM

Oh THAT.. yea you're right.. it's gone... WTH?? :-(

11. 9 Posted by paulweiss on 10 Jun, 2018 02:50 AM

Another voice of dissatisfaction. Even Apple's Finder lets me specify my own Favorites. It's functionality which I use a hundred times a day.

12. 10 Posted by Joona Nuutinen on 10 Jun, 2018 06:46 AM

I reverted back to PF7. I'm really not going to pay for an upgrade that loses essential functionality and adds some bloat.

To me, the key feature of Path Finder is, believe it or not, delete (actual delete, not trash). I like Size Browser too, and would rather have the developers concentrate on making Size Browser better.

13. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 06:27 PM.

14. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Jun, 2018 06:28 PM

15. 11 Posted by leon_starr on 03 Jul, 2018 02:17 PM

Having lost my favorites and rebuilding them three times I'm fairly annoyed as well. If you can't get Pathfinder to sync with Finder's favorites, why not at least provide a separate list of favorite folders private to Pathfinder? This is a key feature and to just drop it without saying anything is not appreciated. Is everyone just supposed to discover this on their own, dragging folders into the Favorites area and then discovering them missing eventually? If the feature is disabled, WHY do you allow folders to be dragged to the Favorites region and keep them there for a while??? Really bad communication with your users.

(Now I'm wondering what other "trick" disabled features are in PF8 )

16. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Jul, 2018 08:43 PM.

17. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Jul, 2018 08:43 PM

18. 12 Posted by webregnet on 09 Jul, 2018 07:01 AM

A bug reported in many topic.
    http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/103143-be-careful...
    http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/105181-sidebar-ch...

Save your sidebar each time you make a change in it. And use this backup to restore your settings.

This is the 8.0.4 update and this huge bug is still not fixed...

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 03:45 PM.

20. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 03:45 PM

21. 13 Posted by brsnyder117 on 10 Jul, 2018 05:13 PM

Is this what used to be called Places? I have about 20 folders in that list in PF7 and none of them are showing in PF8. Actually now that I look, I see both Places and Favorites in PF7, but there is no Favorites actually showing up in my PF7 sidebar. And no option called Places in PF8. So basically that list is gone in PF8.

Nor are the various saved sidebar configurations I had in PF7 available (ported over) in PF8.

Uninstalling now, and hope I never have to upgrade until these issues are resolved. And I won't even be able to try again because my 30-day trial will have run out by the time I feel like checking to see what's been fixed.

Not singling out Cocoatech, because this is all too common, but how does stuff like this make it out the door? The features that make the product one of the main reasons not to use Finder, and either it doesn't work or it doesn't bring over your hard-earned customizations from the previous version when you upgrade?

I work in the SW industry and this is why I sometimes hate it. The disdain for the users is just infuriating.

22. 14 Posted by davido on 10 Jul, 2018 05:20 PM

"Not singling out Cocoatech,"

Ok.. then I will.. I not only upgraded my license but bought TWO licenses.. I figured 8 would actually be an improvement over 7. Frankly it's not and I feel pretty burned. by this.

23. 15 Posted by brsnyder117 on 10 Jul, 2018 05:29 PM

Not really relevant to this thread, and I will report separately, but after I went back to PF7, no files were visible when I chose View as List (which is my default). View as icon or column worked fine, but not view as list. So PF7 was literally useless to me.

Thanking my lucky stars that I had a time machine backup and could restore my Application Support/Pathfinder folder, which got things working again.

Unbelievable.

24. 16 Posted by davido on 10 Jul, 2018 05:33 PM

Oh that's delightful.. guess I better rip PF8 back off of my machine.. and leave it off.. I hope PF7 still works on Mojave, tho I'm not hopeful of that.

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2018 07:44 PM.

26. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2018 07:44 PM

27. 17 Posted by billbowman on 12 Jul, 2018 12:54 AM

This is another "gotcha" with PF8 that messes with my established workflow from PF7. I honestly hate to pile on the developer, but in hindsight, I am wishing that I stayed with Pathfinder 7. Version 8 doesn't appear to add much value to my workflow while removing other features that I relied on.

I also own a license for the latest version of Forklift, when I tried it for a while. It was pretty good, but I preferred PF7. But now...樂

EDIT: I decided to remove PF8 for the time being and give Forklift another go. I may revisit things in a few months.

28. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 03:49 PM.

29. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 03:49 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac