Missing Features in PathFinder 8

psychiatry

27 May, 2018 07:25 AM

1) I can store a list of Symbolic LInks to my favorite folders in the Finder Sidebar. I use Symbolic LInks because it is easy to rebuild the Sidebar whenever the Finder has a bug that destroys the sidebar contents. PathFinder 7 shows these Symbolic LInks. But PathFinder 8 DOES NOT. This is a significant loss of function between PathFinder 7 and PathFinder 8 - so much so that PathFinder 7 is better than 8.

2) PathFinder 7 allowed you to customize the color of your tags. PathFinder 8 does not. This is a significant loss in customizability.

At least PathFinder 8 doesn't use up so much CPU time as PathFinder 7.

1. 1 Posted by portaferry on 27 May, 2018 08:00 AM

As far as I know you can only add Folders to the Sidebar - but you can drag symbolic links to the tool bar. A work around is to put what you need in a Folder and place it on the sidebar under favourites, or you can do some variation of this on the Toolbar.

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 27 May, 2018 04:53 PM.

3. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 27 May, 2018 04:53 PM

4. 2 Posted by psychiatry on 28 May, 2018 02:04 AM

I already place a folder of Favorite Folders on the Dock. This folder contains symbolic links to each of my Favorite Folders.

Yes, Symbolic Links can be placed in the Finder Sidebar Favorites, not just folders.
    You can also add Aliases to the Finder Sidebar Favorites.

The reason I use Symbolic links is that it is easy to rebuild the Finder Favorites Sidebar whenever the Finder's preference file gets corrupted - which can be often.

So for PathFinder 8 to lose this capability is very disappointing.

So far, the only reason to upgrade from PathFinder 7 to PathFinder 8 is that PathFinder 8 doesn't hog the CPU like PathFinder 7. I often have to use AppTamer to control PathFinder 7's CPU hogging. Otherwise, the lost of the two above features is disappointing.

Hopefully, they can be added back.

5. 3 Posted by einkauf on 28 May, 2018 07:19 AM

^ Same here esp. regarding symbolic links in the Favorites sidebar which I used heavily in PF7. I just wanted to open a new thread for that.

Sure, I also added the Favorites folder to the sidebar in order have a longer list of places just 2 clicks away. For real favorites (hence the name), though, I want a 1-click-access.

6. 4 Posted by portaferry on 28 May, 2018 07:48 AM

You said;

I can store a list of Symbolic LInks to my favorite folders in the Finder Sidebar. I use Symbolic LInks because it is easy to rebuild the Sidebar whenever the Finder has a bug that destroys the sidebar contents.

Why is it easier to create Symbolic links for rebuild rather than just drag folders to sidebar. Curious, ... I seem to be missing a point here?

7. 5 Posted by psychiatry on 28 May, 2018 08:06 AM

I use folders from multiple directories all over the hard drive of the Mac and from external drives. I currently have 35 folders in the Sidebar.

If you have to rebuild the Sidebar with these folders, you would have to tediously find each folder then drag them to the Sidebar. You would have to remember which folders you also chose to be in the side bar. Rinse and repeat 35 times.

It is far easier to store Symbolic Links or Aliases to these folders in a "Favorite Folders" Folder then drag each one to the Sidebar when rebuilding the Sidebar.

With my technique, I have no need to remember the locations of the folders, nor do I have to look for them, open up the directory containing each individual folder so I can drag each one to the Sidebar. My technique is far far easier.

8. 6 Posted by portaferry on 28 May, 2018 08:26 AM

Okay I understand and it’s a good strategy even if you have a lower number of folders on there sidebar. In passing I havent had any issues with PF7 sidebar "crashes" though I have not got 35 folders on the sidebar. Also I do not find pathfinder a particular CPU hog, I suppose it depends on the work you are asking it to do, ...

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2018 01:17 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2018 01:18 PM

11. 7 Posted by J-Rod on 01 Jun, 2018 06:43 PM

I am having the same problem. Instead of using SymLinks I'm using Aliases. I do this because I can rename the Alias without affecting the name of the folder to which it points. I have Aliases which point to multiple Dropbox folders. If I rename the Dropbox folder then the DB app can't find the correct location and / or my work team sees the updated name. It would be very helpful to be able to put Aliases and SymLinks back into the favorites in the sidebar.

Unlike the O.P., I have not noticed high CPU usage on PF7 so, in my case, PF8 is a $20 DOWNgrade. There is no reason for me to invest further in this software if this key feature is not going to be available.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 05:49 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 05:49 PM

14. 8 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 07:22 AM

After using Pathfinder 8 for a while, the loss of functions is very very irritating, limiting, and disappointing.

1) NO STANDARD FINDER SYNCHRONIZED SIDEBAR - this use to be the standard sidebar of PathFinder 7. This sidebar allowed the use of Aliases and Symbolic Links in the sidebar.

2) NO ALIASES OR SYMBOLIC LINKS IN THE SIDEBAR - Pathfinder 7 allows this. The Finder allows this.

3) NO MULTiPLE CUSTOM SIDEBARS - PathFinder 8 only has one sidebar which you have to rebuild from what you have with the Finder. The rebuild is limited to folders since it cannot accept Aliases and Symbolic Links like the Finder Sidebar

4) NO CUSTOM TAG COLORS. On my system - perhaps because of a deep Finder bug in MacOS - the tags shown by PathFinder are wrongly colored. They are colored their original Finder Tag colors from Mac OS X 10.2 instead of MacOS 10.13. For example:
    Tag 1 is yellow instead of red.
    Tag 2 is green instead of orange.
    Tag 3 is red instead of yellow.
    Tag 4 is cyan instead of green.
    Tag 5 is purple instead of blue
    Tag 6 is blue instead of purple.
    Tag 7 is orange instead of gray.

Here is a link to a screenshot of the problem: https://i.imgur.com/hhRjGvd.png

https://i.imgur.com/hhRjGvd.png

In Pathfinder 7 and earlier, I could customize the tag colors to compensate for this bug. But now in PathFinder 8, I cannot customize the tag colors. Very disappointing. Additionally, if the tag colors are too dark to my liking, with PathFinder 7, I could lighten the color. With PathFinder 8's loss of custom colored tags, I can no longer do this. Sad.

15. 9 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 07:52 AM

At the very least, allow the addition of Aliases and Symbolic Links to the Sidebar. This would simplify rebuilding the sidebar from a folder of favorite folders.

From Sidebar Implementation is a mess

2 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on May 23, 2018 @ 12:19 PM

Hi Nigel,

We are really sorry about this not working anymore. 
    The API for that functionality (syncing "Favorites" and 
    in general all those "Recent…" lists) was deprecated 
    and abandoned a long time ago. 

In each new version of PF it worked worse. 

We tried having that as long as possible, 
    but we cross the point at which it became a liability 
    and not feature. 

It became a real pain, both in customer support and 
    code maintenance. 

We don't want to make any kind of excuses here, 
    but in this case, it's really Apple to blame. 

As far as we know, no other 3rd party application offers 
    that sort of synchronization, even if they did they gave up 
    a long time ago. 

We kept it as long as possible, but the burden of 
    supporting it became just too overwhelming for the 
    benefits it provides.

Please feel free to write us back and we will 
    be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

16. 10 Posted by info on 03 Jun, 2018 08:40 AM

they destroyed a good product !!
    it's better we ask refound !!

17. 11 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 01:19 PM

@ info: That would be drastic and impulsive. After all PathFinder 7 is still available for download. And it works well with MacOS 10.13. So you can still use the previous version of the product.

It looks like Apple has removed the API needed to maintain synchronization with Finder. Thus PathFinder's developers were forced to remove the feature since it could no longer be maintained.

PathFinder's developers however can still restore the ability to:
    1) add aliases and symbolic links to the sidebar
    2) add the ability to customize the finder label colors it renders in its own windows.

18. 12 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Jun, 2018 02:04 PM

3) NO MULTiPLE CUSTOM SIDEBARS - PathFinder 8 only has one sidebar which you have to rebuild from what you have with the Finder. The rebuild is limited to folders since it cannot accept Aliases and Symbolic Links like the Finder Sidebar

CORRECTION:

I FOUND YOU CAN HAVE MULTIPLE CUSTOM SIDEBARS*

IT IS NOT OBVIOUS as in PathFinder 7.

1) You have to click the ratchet icon of the Sidebar to popup the Sidebar Preferences

2) You have to go to the bottom of the Sidebar Preferences to click on the UNLABLED Popup Button. There you select SAVE... to create a custom Sidebar by giving it a name and saving it.

3) You then select from the UNLABLED Popup Button the custom Sidebar you want.

WARNING

Everytime you add or remove a folder to or from Favorites, you have to create another custom sidebar.

Otherwise, the newly added folder will NOT be automatically saved by PathFinder.

This behavior is different from PathFinder 7 where Sidebar Favorites are automatically saved.

LINK: https://i.imgur.com/93KKMyl.png

INLINE IMAGE: Pathfinder Custom Sidebars

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:10 PM.

20. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 03 Jun, 2018 07:11 PM

21. 13 Posted by Michael on 05 Jun, 2018 06:59 PM

I'd like to add another reason for using symlinks: naming.

The name of a folder on my drive isn't necessarily a useful name for the sidebar.

Perhaps I also have two folders with the same name, and where they're placed on the drive makes them obvious, but copy those to the sidebar and now I don't know which is which.

22. 14 Posted by sixsix on 05 Jun, 2018 09:14 PM

I'm very disappointed in this upgrade as well, be it Apple or developers. I'm never crazy about paying to upgrade for less.

23. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 08:19 PM.

24. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Jun, 2018 08:20 PM

25. 15 Posted by Bolli in Coogee on 05 Oct, 2018 05:39 PM

I am astonished that you find it acceptable to provide an upgrade likely to see customers lose countless hours customising, knowing full well none of it gets saved. I am a long term customer. Version 8 is a disaster.

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 06 Oct, 2018 02:15 PM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 06 Oct, 2018 02:15 PM

28. 16 Posted by LOU on 09 Nov, 2018 02:01 PM

where have keyboard shortcuts for downloads folder gone in PF8?

29. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Nov, 2018 02:19 PM.

30. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 10 Nov, 2018 02:19 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac