Tags/Labels Make Even Less Sense Now

Radd

27 May, 2018 05:32 AM

Okay, So I know PF deviated from how the Finder did labels/tags when Apple made their choice to expand/enhance/muddy-the-waters on labels and tags. I get it. You guys had some reasoning for maintaining the way things were... fine.

But explain to me how this makes sense.

I've been trying to set up sort-by-label in column view. I've been trying to customize my labels/tags in PF8. It's a mess. Seriously, it's an unintuitive mess. Groups does what? Can I edit colors? Where would I edit the labels of those colors?

Check out the attached screenshots.

How is it that, going through PF's own configurations, I cannot get "labels" to have names (I can't find where to edit labels at all)... but it will show OLD label names in label sort.. and I cannot make new names for colors? It's a confusing mess.

I seriously have PF labels that show up with Finder "names", but in PF are named by "colors"... tags that have color but won't sort by their names... tags that have names and don't but are just colors. Seriously? How does this work now?

I really want to like the progress. I WANT to want this update. I want the new features to be worth it. I'm just baffled right now. How can labels be this confused?

Do you still insist on sticking to the older label system but now lack a way to modify them? How is this possible?

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2018 06:33 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2018 06:33 PM

3. 1 Posted by epetrack on 01 Jun, 2018 12:26 AM

Yep- I've been emailing support since PF 8 came out, and not getting anywhere.... I see the color labels in the sidebar, but none of my named tags show (as they do in Finder). For me. the use of named tags in sidebar is the main (?only) reason to upgrade, so waiting to see if this gets addressed....

4. 2 Posted by cwmorse on 01 Jun, 2018 05:43 PM

yeah, this is very frustrating . . . I use tags to navigate my files, but apparently I cannot do so effectively in Path Finder

5. 3 Posted by dhnyny on 02 Jun, 2018 12:33 AM

There are two basic problems here: implementation and documentation. Tag groups are a perfect example of something that makes no intuitive sense and needs to be effectively documented. I eventually figured it out (and found it useless for my personal needs but I can see how others might love it) but it should have been clearly documented. As for implementation, I agree that tags and labels are a mess at this point. In my personal view, the developers should completely abandon trying to sync PF tags and Finder tags. How many PF users actually use the Finder at all? I'd be much happier to have robust tagging features (custom names, custom colors) that work in PF but are invisible in the Finder than to have the current mess, which has been problematic for a long time but has gotten much worse.

6. 4 Posted by cwmorse on 02 Jun, 2018 01:16 AM

There appears to be no documentation at all . . I don't get it

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:29 PM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Jun, 2018 06:29 PM

9. 5 Posted by Radd on 13 Jul, 2018 11:08 PM

Since the devs have ignored this issue, I'm adding more information and screenshots to definitively demonstrate, to them, how broken this is.

This is not a non-issue, this is my productivity... and Path Finder needs SERIOUS attention on this. The old descriptions of why and how things work do NOT apply in this update.

So here goes, with attached images.

IMAGE: labels and not: This is column view arranged by label, a standard and very useful Path Finder feature for years now. Some of these labels get names... some don't. Why? No idea. It's a mess as shown below...

IMAGE: color with name: So... this is tagged with a color (a "label" if you will)... but it displays the name of another tag it isn't tagged with.

IMAGE: color without name: It's tagged with a color ("label")... and displays no name.

IMAGE: tab without name: So this one has a name and the color gets picked... but? No name on the label in the column.

IMAGE: tag with name: This one ACTUALLY WORKS. THIS is the expected behavior.

Also... the whole "tag groups" is seriously weird. If I select an item and use "File>Tags and Rating..." then select a tag group, like say "colors"... it adds... EVERY COLOR? What sense does this make?

Please, please, P-L-E-A-S-E fix labels and tags. ACKNOWLEDGE that it's a known issue... tell me how to fix it... or flat out tell me you don't care and I'll go elsewhere. Because I need this to not be a perpetual mess.

10. 6 Posted by epetrack on 14 Jul, 2018 12:58 AM

Well, I've actually given up on PF. With the positive changes coming to Apple's Finder in OS Mojave, I've gone back after years of using PF to just using the Finder, and very happy. Tags work as they should. I would have gladly stuck with PF had they addressed these issues.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2018 01:51 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2018 01:51 PM

13. 7 Posted by Radd on 19 Jul, 2018 04:55 PM

So... no comment at all from Path Finder Support? Sigh.

Can't say I'm surprised. I understand there is pressure... but no, this is ridiculous. This is inexcusable.

I brought this up almost two MONTHS ago. No one, let alone a paid customer, should have to wait two months for even minimal acknowledgement.

14. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2018 06:41 PM.

15. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2018 06:41 PM

16. 8 Posted by eric on 03 Aug, 2018 04:20 PM

This is the #1 issue which forces me to switch back over to Apple's finder periodically instead of living in PF8 all the time. I want to see a response form Cocoatech about the current state and the plan for the future. The lack of documentation made it extremely difficult to even get to the point where I realized that support for custom tags was just plain missing (instead of hidden somewhere that I couldn't find). Please communicate!

17. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 05:59 PM.

18. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 05:59 PM

19. 9 Posted by Radd on 16 Aug, 2018 02:58 PM

So Jordan...

How many months until I can expect some kind of developer comment on this?

We are approaching three months now.

Jordan?

Hello Jordan?

Is this thing on?

20. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 01:17 PM.

21. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 01:17 PM

22. 10 Posted by Radd on 17 Aug, 2018 03:29 PM

So that's a no then, Jordan? Too busy taking our money and ignoring us? Is that the way it is?

23. 11 Posted by imusrad on 17 Aug, 2018 03:50 PM

After what i saw in the last weeks the support of PathFinder is very very sad. And also they doesnt listen to their users.

24. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 08:25 PM.

25. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 17 Aug, 2018 08:25 PM

26. 12 Posted by Radd on 27 Aug, 2018 11:57 PM

Officially three months now.

Not one word from support. Not one.

Utterly incomprehensible.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Aug, 2018 01:18 PM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Aug, 2018 01:18 PM

29. 13 Posted by Radd on 27 Sep, 2018 04:16 PM

Officially four months.

Still no word from support.

30. 14 Posted by bOli on 27 Sep, 2018 05:44 PM

Sorry to hear that. Getting a reply is not necessarily better though :-/

I've had issues with labels since PF7, and they're still the same in PF8

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 Sep, 2018 10:24 AM.

32. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 Sep, 2018 10:24 AM

33. 15 Posted by Radd on 10 Nov, 2018 01:10 AM

Come ignore this thread again, Jordan.

Also... current release crashed 3 times on me today. Needed to be force quit 2 more.

Doing great.

34. Support Staff 16 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 10 Nov, 2018 03:34 PM

Hi, 

Thank you for the feedback, I will make sure to structure it and pass on to our developers. 

I can confirm that tags/labels management is far from intuitive now and is to be reviewed. 

We respond to all the private discussions and try to keep up with the public ones, too, but, unfortunately, it doesn't always happen this way. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

35. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 10 Nov, 2018 03:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac