Default Window PF 8

Nick Cameron

24 May, 2018 07:14 AM

Hello,
how do I save my settings in pf8 (dual sidebar, colored icons, Favorites etc.)
Everytime I hit cmd-n it opens a default layout which isn't mine at all.(One sidebar, grey icons, favorites gone)
Can´t find it anywhere how to overwrite this.
totally ost my personal layout 3 times yet
thank you

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 May, 2018 07:32 AM

Hi NIck,

Open Sidebar preferences (little gear button next to its header) and use "Settings" option.

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:32 AM.

3. Nick Cameron re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:36 AM

4. 2 Posted by Nick Cameron on 24 May, 2018 07:36 AM

Well there I can save Sidebars. These are not recalled though when I open an new Window (cmd-n)
    Best regards

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 24 May, 2018 07:41 AM

Hi NIck, 

Please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists: 

1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
      xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

2. If you see com.apple.quarantine returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
      xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"

You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the com.apple.quarantine attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now. 

Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan
    Path Finder Support Team 

6. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:41 AM.

7. Nick Cameron re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 07:50 AM

8. 4 Posted by Nick Cameron on 24 May, 2018 07:50 AM

This doesn’t help

"no such file“

I don’t think its an issue. Isn’t it just a missing feature?

Could you implement it. Otherwise PF is quite useless when favs are gone in new windows

Best regards

NIck

> Am 24.05.2018 um 09:41 schrieb Path Finder Support Team <[email blocked]>:
    >
    > From: Path Finder Support Team (Cocoatech Support)
    > Subject: Default Window PF 8
    >
    > Hi NIck,
    >
    > Please follow the instruction and check if the issue still persists:
    >
    > 1. Open your terminal and paste the following command to check if Path Finder has been slapped with the quarantined extended attribute:
    > xattr /Applications/"Path Finder.app"
    >
    > 2. If you see `com.apple.quarantine` returned as output from that last command, then go ahead and run this next command:
    > xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/"Path Finder.app"
    >
    > You won't get any feedback or output from that command, but that's okay because you can just run the first command again to see for yourself if the `com.apple.quarantine` attribute shows up again. It shouldn't, and now Path Finder is freed from Apple quarantine jail. Restart your PathFinder now.
    >
    > Don't hesitate to contact us should any questions arise.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Jordan
    > Path Finder Support Team
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > View this discussion at our support site online: http://support.cocoatech.com/discussions/problems/100722-default-window-pf-8
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

9. 5 Posted by enkaytee on 24 May, 2018 08:34 AM

This is the main reason why I can't trust PF8 - there's something definitely weird about how it handles the 'default' browser layout. I can set everything up the way I want it, save the sidebar AND browser (just in case), close the window, and when I open a new one the layout is most often different although not in a way that's logical - it seems to pick various elements and change them. So, I'll have the 'default' sidebar with tags and standard set of favorites, or I'll have my custom sidebar layout, but there will be 2 panes! I've run the terminal command but saw no feedback so assume the app isn't quarantined. At the moment I'm only testing PF 8 on a MacBook as I simply can't rely on it on my main iMac. I really think this release is pretty buggy, but it could be that I just don't understand the 'new' behavior. All I want is a consistent 'default' layout that loads on startup and on opening the app window - so if there's a simple guide on how to achieve this I'd be grateful!

10. 6 Posted by NIck on 24 May, 2018 08:48 AM

quote "All I want is a consistent 'default' layout that loads on startup and on opening the app window" quote end

Exactly. Thats of paramount importance.

Hope there´s a fix soon cause I really crave the dual sidebar locked to their corresponding sides feature in 8..
    But if not lockable in default its absolutely useless.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 02:43 PM.

12. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 02:43 PM

13. 7 Posted by Nick Cameron on 24 May, 2018 07:34 PM

what’s weird though is that when you don’t close the browser and then quit and reopen pf8, it will show up the same way as you left it.
    But thats of course not a solution at all.

Same when right clicking on a sidebar item and chose „show in new window“ it opens a new window with the same settings.

so it must be stored somewhere.. not in the default alas.

I suppose this to be an error because there is no way this could have been missed by devs in the first place.
    Is it?

14. 8 Posted by NIck on 25 May, 2018 09:01 AM

uhh.
    it`s working now.
    I didn't change anything. I didn´t even reboot.
    I picked "new window" from the menubar icon dropdown and ever since cmd-n opens a new window with exactly the same settings as I closed the last one.
    PF 8 apparently was stuck somehow.
    I hope this was just a hiccupp doesn't reoccur.
    May I ask what that was?

15. 9 Posted by NIck on 25 May, 2018 10:10 AM

Ok Pathfinder 8

it´s ALL GONE AGAIN !!!!

Now that I thought it was working I meticulously set everything up. Until suddenly it resets to useless defaultdefault.. again. All my changes gone the 5th time now.

16. 10 Posted by Nick on 26 May, 2018 07:23 AM

Is anybody listening here in the first place?

17. 11 Posted by enkaytee on 26 May, 2018 09:47 AM

It's gone very quiet - hopefully they're hard at work fixing the problems! As much as I want to carry on using PF - it's been installed on my Macs for a very long time, I really can't trust it any more so I'm looking for alternatives...

18. 12 Posted by portaferry on 26 May, 2018 11:03 AM

I think the implementation and communication is poor. After a lot of trial and error I seem to have PF8 working okay with a few work arounds. The big test will be when I turn off my iMac and turn it on tomorrow - but the key issue is a change of behaviour - you seem to have to save your format every time you make a change - you can't just drag/slide and forget. Having said that I have long noted PF has been infrequently updated - so there is a question about the resources behind this app. Bugs have been evident for a long time & the general answer is this is on the list to be fixed but seemingly not much happens. I hope it get sorted because even from a presentational point of view I like working with PF.

19. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:07 PM.

20. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:09 PM

21. Support Staff 13 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 26 May, 2018 05:09 PM

Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply. We are getting a quite heavy post-release load. 
    Besides that, when a discussion is updated with a response by someone, it gets moved to the end of the queue. 

We are indeed both working hard to fix issues and to respond to users in a timely manner while collecting user feedback. 

Sorry for the inconvenience once again. 

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

22. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:09 PM.

23. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:10 PM

24. 14 Posted by duncanbrook on 27 May, 2018 03:20 PM

+1 on everything @Nick has reported about this (maddening) bug. I've fiddled around with saved browser settings, saved sidebar settings, etc, and still I cannot predict whether opening a new window will produce one with the modules I want and those custom settings in place, or a window with the original app default configuration.

I like Path Finder and was thinking about sending you various monies, but the whole point of it (for me) is that I can customize it within an inch of its life in ways not possible in the stock Finder. If those customizations come & go as they please, well, that's partly what I already have in the Finder and partly worse than what I have there — so that's a dealbreaker.

Still: I'm optimistic, and I look forward to 8.01!

25. 15 Posted by Nick on 28 May, 2018 11:53 AM

I´d like to know if PF devs are aware of this bug which is absolutely a KO criterion?
    For me I´m sadly gone back to Finder. I would be happy to give PF8 another chance. When this is fixed please let me know.
    Thank you.

26. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 28 May, 2018 05:02 PM.

27. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 28 May, 2018 05:02 PM

28. 16 Posted by nick on 18 Jun, 2018 04:52 PM

ok. for me it seems to be solved with one of the latest two updates.
    But no mentioning of fixing it nor posting this here seems a bit rude :-/ :-))
    Hope it is fixed now..
    Thanks

29. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 04:52 PM.

30. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 18 Jun, 2018 04:53 PM

31. 17 Posted by duncanbrook on 29 Jun, 2018 04:02 AM

Still not fixed for me in 8.0.3.

32. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 08:31 PM.

33. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 29 Jun, 2018 08:31 PM

34. 18 Posted by webregnet on 09 Jul, 2018 07:38 AM

And still not fixed in 8.0.4

Sidebar bug complaining topics are numerous since PF8 came out.

And we can still read Jordan replies each time:

'Thank you for the feedback and sorry for the inconvenience. Our developers are investigating this issue in order to fix it.'

How could we trust you since all this time ?

35. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:01 PM.

36. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Jul, 2018 04:01 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac