Sidebar implentation is a mess in PF8

enkaytee

23 May, 2018 06:38 PM

Layout not being saved, 'places' missing - the 'new' sidebar in PF 8 is a bit of a mess. I realise you had to do something, but I'm used to the flexibility of adding my own locations and for them to stay in the sidebar -PF8 just seems to revert to some default layout which I didn't choose, and isn't the one from Finder. I've downgraded to 7 for now, and really hoping you'll sort this out....

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 14 Jul, 2018 01:44 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 14 Jul, 2018 01:44 PM

3. 31 Posted by marshallhill on 31 Jul, 2018 11:22 PM

My god who has time to screw with this and all the attempts to fix it and make it work like it is supposed to work? I have real work to do, not play with a utility, as if it was a game to try to make it do what it did in past versions. I used to use Path Finder and it saved me time, it was a help for the real work in the other apps I worked in. But after two days of this bullshit, I am done. Life is too short, there is something better to do with my time, and there are alternatives to Path Finder.

4. 32 Posted by Jeffrey Hookom on 31 Jul, 2018 11:22 PM

I am out of the office and without reliable access to email.

I look forward to your email after I return Tue 7 Aug 2018.

- Jeffrey

Jeffrey Hookom, Canon Precentor | www.gracecathedral.org<http://www.gracecathedral.org/>

[email blocked]<mailto:[email blocked]> | 415-749-6393 (Office) | 415-749-6333 (Vestry)

Serve with us: Online Scheduler<http://www.gracecathedral.org/rota> | Readings PDF<http://www.gracecathedral.org/readings.pdf>

Grace Cathedral 1100 California St, San Francisco, CA 94108

Connect with us: Gracecathedral.org<http://www.gracecathedral.org/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/gracecathedralSF> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/gracecathedral> | e-Newsletter <https://www.gracecathedral.org/news-publications/#newsletter> | Donate<http://www.gracecathedral.org/donate>

5. 33 Posted by help on 01 Aug, 2018 10:16 AM

@ marshallhill.. I agree. I too have real work to do.

I've uninstalled PF from my main iMac - on my other mac I didn't make the mistake of overwriting PF7 - and started using a combination of Finder and A Better Finder Rename 10. The more I use Finder the mo re I realise just how better I think it for my purposes. Nearly finished manually renaming approx 10,000 pdfs. Also using colour tags for the first time and finding Finder slick - with minimal spinning ball, provided I don't have any other memory hungry apps running in the background.

6. 34 Posted by chris on 01 Aug, 2018 02:18 PM

I'm having the same problem. I keep adding my DropBox folder to the 'Favourites' in the sidebar but very time PF8 restarts (e.,g. I log out and back in again) then it forgets that DropBox was in the sidebar and I have to add it again.

This needs to be fixed please.

7. 35 Posted by Incanto on 01 Aug, 2018 04:57 PM

Here's how you do it, at least how it has worked for me. With your sidebar showing, configured the way you want it, look in the upper left hand corner of its title bar (if that's what it's called--it should say "Sidebar") for the spoked wheel (standard Mac OS icon for preferences). Click that; it will open a box with some options. Go to the "Settings" bar at the bottom, click that, and you will be given the option (among others) to save it, click that and the option to name it will come up. Name it. Save it. Then that sidebar configuration is locked in; if you lose it you can always repeat the above steps and chose your named sidebar, and there it is. If you want to add (or subtract) from it on the fly, you will probably have to redo the above steps. So far for me each time PF starts up my chosen sidebar is there.

8. 36 Posted by enkaytee on 01 Aug, 2018 06:42 PM

Tried that and it still didn't 'stick' reliably, often reverting to the basic default sidebar. I really don't want to have to keep reloading my layout - previous versions of PF always kept my sidebar settings between sessions. I've decided life is too short to carry on struggling with PF8 so I've got my refund and am happliy back on PF7

9. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:36 PM.

10. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:36 PM

11. 37 Posted by psychiatry on 03 Aug, 2018 07:35 AM

I and I bet most users of PathFinder 7 use only ONE SIDEBAR which they then customize by adding and removing items either in PathFinder or the Finder. PathFinder would remember what changes were done between sessions, between log-ins, power-ons, etc. No need to create a new sidebar every time one customizes the sidebar. Having multiple sidebars is actually FEATURE BLOAT.
    PathFinder 8 loses the ability to synchronize the sidebar with the finder due to Apple's removal of the API for this.
    But still remains the need to be able to customize ONE SIDEBAR. Yet inexplicably, PathFinder 8 also lost this ability (and the ability to add aliases and symbolic links to the sidebar).
    In PathFinder 8, any single change to the sidebar - removing an item, adding an item - means you MUST save a NEW SIDEBAR. You can't simply spontaneously add or remove sidebar items and have PathFinder automatically remember the change in the sidebar. You have to SAVE A NEW SIDEBAR every time you change the sidebar. Additionally, PathFinder 8 forgets which sidebar you are using between sessions.
    This is a mess.
    At the very least, PathFinder 8 needs to change sidebar behavior so that one can use ONE SIDEBAR that is MODIFIABLE, where PathFinder 8 REMEMBERS the changes you made between sessions, where PathFinder 8 uses THE SAME SIDEBAR between sessions. And if PathFinder 8 additionally adds the capability to store aliases and symbolic links much of the trouble with PathFinder 8 sidebars would be solved. The behavior will be as expected by users. The only thing missing is synchronization with the Finder sidebar but that is understood.

12. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:36 PM.

13. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:36 PM

14. 38 Posted by Chris Parker on 08 Aug, 2018 12:23 PM

How do I get rid of this blank sidebar?

15. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Aug, 2018 01:56 PM.

16. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Aug, 2018 01:56 PM

17. 39 Posted by psychiatry on 09 Aug, 2018 05:17 PM

Try adding a module to the blank sidebar.

18. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 09 Aug, 2018 05:49 PM.

19. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 09 Aug, 2018 05:49 PM

20. 40 Posted by Ebraheem Azhar on 20 Aug, 2018 06:10 PM

Seriously why the hell doesn't the favorites transfer over from Finder? I swear to god every time I start pathfinder my favorites are gone, and I spend so much time navigating to each folder to move them over. I must have done this at least 15 times by now. And they're still available on normal Finder, but not PF8. Can we please get this fixed? I had to pay for this upgrade to PF8 and this one issue is making me regret it completely.

This thread is from May and I thought this issue would be addressed by now, but I've been silent for way too long.

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 06:28 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 06:29 PM

23. 41 Posted by Michael McMahon on 20 Aug, 2018 07:33 PM

PF8 is a disaster.

I have lost a ton of time reselecting modules, rearranging favorites and generally getting this "tool" to function as such. I was happy with PF7 but was enticed by the promised functionality of PF* and the modules themselves. In my opinion, though, that is the weakest part of this overall version. Modules never seem to persist between reboots and I have now learned how to recall sidebar settings, but it is inconsistent on whether my sidebar comes up when I first open PF8.

I have learned from other threads that going back to PF7 is not recommended and generally has very bad results, so I am going back to the Finder as my file management tool of choice because. I am so frustrated with PF8.

24. 42 Posted by lcdpublic on 20 Aug, 2018 07:52 PM

I was able to go back to PF 7 without issue by deleting all the PF preferences and caches and restoring the PF 7 prefs from a Time Machine backup.

**Leigh

25. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 08:07 PM.

26. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 20 Aug, 2018 08:07 PM

27. 43 Posted by psychiatry on 21 Aug, 2018 02:27 AM

Path Finder 8 needs to have a STANDARD SIDEBAR which is automatically saved when it is changed and preserved between quitting and saving Path Finder 8.

The Standard Sidebar exists in Path Finder 7. And it was synchronized with the Finder's sidebar. But since Apple has blocked doing this, obviously Path Finder 8 cannot be synchronizing with the Finder. But it still can have a STANDARD SIDEBAR.

Note that the Finder will at times crash and wipe out your favorites from the sidebar. And if you erase the Finder prefs file, you will also wipe out your favorites. These conditions force you to rebuild the Finder sidebar more often than you would like.

My solution is to create a folder containing Symbolic Links or Aliases to my Finder sidebar favorites. This way, it is quick and easy to rebuild the sidebar favorites.

This solution would have worked with Path Finder 8 if it had a STANDARD SIDEBAR that takes Symbolic Links or Aliases just like Path Finder 7's Standard SIDEBAR does.

So please, developers, add a STANDARD SIDEBAR to Path Finder 8 that allows Symbolic Links and Aliases to be added to it just like Path Finder 7, which automatically saves any changes to it and preserves that change between Path Finder 8 activations - just like Path Finder 7.

This would bridge the inability to synchronize Path Finder's sidebar with the Finder's sidebar. And it would be a great compromise.

28. 44 Posted by cmmrc123 on 21 Aug, 2018 02:31 AM

Hi,

I started using PF8 in early June and pretty quickly noticed that I was unable to rename files or folders in PF8. I had to right click on "Reveal In Finder" and do the rename there. I informed Cocoatech of the problem and they replied that they were aware of it.

A bit later I came upon the downgraded PF8 Find window and let Cocoatech know about that.

In late June with neither problem addressed I went back to PF7. (I don't remember exactly what I did. I probably just followed Jordan's instructions.) I was in the free trial window and so was not out any cash.

I just came back to find out what the current state of PF8 is and found this thread. PF8 seems to be even worse than I thought.

That being said, I need to know if PF7 will be compatible with macOS Mojave (10.14). If not I will have to find a PF alternative.

Also, I hope Cocoatech will reset the free trial back to zero as I want to be sure of any fixed PF8 before committing real money.

I am a PF paying customer since 2012.

Jake

29. 45 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 21 Aug, 2018 03:00 AM

Cocoatech,
    Are you working to restore standard sidebar functionality in PF8? Please tell us. If not, why not? If so, how is it going?
    Please reply.
    Sincerely,
    Andrew Peterson

30. 46 Posted by enkaytee on 21 Aug, 2018 11:48 AM

Don't forget what Jordan said in another thread:

Creating a new browser resets your preferences **by design, at the moment. You can load your Sidebar preferences via little gear button next to "Sidebar" header.

So I don't think they're going to make this a priority any time soon!

31. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 21 Aug, 2018 12:31 PM.

32. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 21 Aug, 2018 12:31 PM

33. 47 Posted by Tom Eus on 22 Aug, 2018 03:46 AM

I reverted to PF7 from the free PF8 trial. But I would pay for the upgrade if:

I could add aliases
    I could add SymLinks
    I could save one Sidebar as a layout and load it automatically on start (keep the ability to load others based on what I need)

34. 48 Posted by webregnet on 23 Aug, 2018 09:26 PM

So many topics about this subject, and nothing change update after update, Jordan doesn't change in his speech either.

It's so amazing how PF7 works perfectly and does the job...

35. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 Aug, 2018 03:52 PM.

36. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 Aug, 2018 03:52 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac