How do you temporarily hide the sidebar?

andrew.connected

23 May, 2018 05:16 PM

It’s a highly useful feature that I used often in PF7... just finished rooting around the PF8 customize tool bar sheet and I don’t see it. Thanks...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Path Finder Sup... on 23 May, 2018 06:17 PM

Hi Andrew,

I'm afraid there is no option to hide Sidebar temporary. 
    Though you can always remove it - use the X button to the right of "Sidebar" header. 
    When necessary to bring it back, go Window > Modules and drag it back. 

Please feel free to write us back and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
    Jordan 
    Path Finder Support Team

2. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 23 May, 2018 06:17 PM.

3. andrew.connected re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 11:50 AM

4. 2 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 24 May, 2018 11:50 AM

Hi Jordan,
    Thanks for writing back so quickly -- I appreciate it. Maybe in the .01 release you could consider putting that functionality back in. I for one would applaud. As a long-time PF user I‘ve found it tremendously convenient to be able to do restore the sidebar with a simple click on the old toolbar widget (I won’t bore you with a detailed description of my workflow). Your workaround has too many clicks/steps in it, and dragging along the left edge of the PF window to bring the sidebar back requires too much hand-eye coordination. You guys really had it right already in PF7. I don’t know at this point what I’m going to do about it. Usually I like to upgrade my favorite apps (and PF has been among them for a long time – it’s so much better than the Finder), but this is a highly visible step backwards for me. I’m glad the modular under-the-hood coding will make things easier for you, but the removal of this little toolbar widget is a fly in the ointment for me.
    Thanks,
    Andy

5. 3 Posted by enkaytee on 24 May, 2018 01:54 PM

It seems there have been a lot of compromises in the new version - so many that it actually feels like a downgrade. I can't believe that this underwent beta testing and wish I hadn't been so quick to pay for the upgrade! I'm back on PF7 and am likely to stay with that unless Cocoatech can deal with these issues. Anyone found other Finder alternatives that I can take a look at?!

6. 4 Posted by Feek on 24 May, 2018 02:22 PM

You save the settings of a sidebar via pressing the gear icon in the header of the sidebar. At the bottom of the pop-up window you can see the option to save (and give name to) the sidebar.

Now you can close the sidebar module. Reopen it (start in default. But via gear and saved sidebar you get the old (wanted) sidebar bad. So you can also save multiple sidebar, for each purpose a specific one.

7. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 24 May, 2018 04:36 PM.

8. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2018 04:36 PM

9. 5 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 24 May, 2018 10:58 PM

Feek,
    I’m sorry, but your advice does not address the issue I’m having with PF8.
    Andy

10. 6 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 24 May, 2018 11:02 PM

I’m sorry, Cocoatech...

I’m going back to PF7. The removal of the shelves widget is a deal breaker for me. I will happily try PF8 again if this functionality is restored. All of that improved under-the-hood modularity may be helpful for you, but it’s not helpful to me if you take out a feature that I use dozens of times a day.

Regards,

Andy

11. 7 Posted by Steel58 on 24 May, 2018 11:39 PM

Enkaytee and Andy, thank you for your posts regarding the issues you've had with PathFinder 8. I'm now on indefinite hold with upgrading since you've both described elements of your workflows that I have counted on in mine while using PF7. As you've pointed out, under the hood changes which improve coding etc. are all wonderful, but if they don't enhance the (paid) user experience, they really aren't of any value.

Regards,
    Gerard

12. 8 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 24 May, 2018 11:50 PM

Cocoatech, you really screwed this up...

After downgrading to PF 7 I now am in the middle of a real mess... old directories with hundreds of folders and thousands of files that are now showing up as empty in my PF 7 windows... my work day has ground to a halt as I try to troubleshoot this damned thing. Dammit.

13. 9 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 25 May, 2018 12:16 AM

People considering an upgrade to PF8 should, in my opinion, hold off. I’ve run into a really pretty clusterf*** trying to downgrade (see attachment -- sorry for the double-post).

I was too hasty in upgrading. In Cocoatech’s defense I’ve never had anything remotely like this hit me in the past. I like PF and have always upgraded, and have never been bitten, but I’ve been bitten now, hard.

14. 10 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 25 May, 2018 12:18 AM

I should add that my files aren’t gone. They still show up in the Finder. Thank goodness for that at least.

15. 11 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 25 May, 2018 12:26 AM

To Summarize:

(1) I upgraded to PF8 (but kept it in trial mode) (2) I discovered that Cocoatech removed functionality that I use every day in PF8. (3) I downgraded back to PF7 (4) Now PF7 is malfunctioning badly, telling me I have no files (5) The files show up properly in the Finder (6) Removing PF plist and pref files has not helped at all

16. 12 Posted by Sean on 25 May, 2018 06:23 AM

Same thing happened to me. After reverting to PF7 I got things back to normal by restoring the original /Users/MyUsername/Library/Application Support/Path Finder/ folder. PF8 drops some setting files in that folder tree and I think it breaks things.

17. 13 Posted by Peter on 25 May, 2018 07:01 AM

I was lucky with reverting by restoring the relevant files from /Applications, ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences. Keeping the fingers crossed.

18. 14 Posted by Andrew on 25 May, 2018 08:11 PM

Hi. The ability to hide the sidebar and the modules on the side temporarily (using icons in the toolbar) was a feature I used constantly in PF7. Now, it appears the only option is to x it out and then reinstate it.
    I'm not finding much else that is an improvement in PF8; so, I'm going back to PF7. I would welcome--and have always upgraded for many versions--a genuine upgrade which preserves the features of the previous version. Hope PF8 improves. Then I will certainly purchase it.

19. 15 Posted by andrew.connecte... on 26 May, 2018 02:35 PM

My thoughts exactly.

20. 16 Posted by Tim Stringer on 26 May, 2018 02:49 PM

I'd also like to be able to show/hide the sidebar. I used this feature quite frequently in Path Finder 7…and not having it in Path Finder 8 feels like a step backwards. Even Finder has an option to show and hide the sidebar.

21. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:50 PM.

22. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 26 May, 2018 05:50 PM

23. 17 Posted by Carl on 11 Jun, 2018 04:45 PM

I agree with everything andrew.connecte, Andrew and Tim Stringer has laid out above. Wish I had never upgraded! The removal of the show/hide left side, right side and bottom bar toolbar feature is a downgrade and a deal breaker. Trying to figure where it went and how to get it back has been a major waste of time and very frustrating. Now I have to waste more time figuring out how to get back to version 7!

Please replace this fetus ASAP. Thank you

24. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 06:27 PM.

25. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 11 Jun, 2018 06:27 PM

26. 18 Posted by Robert Werthman on 12 Jul, 2018 08:12 PM

Unfortunately I upgraded without first checking here. There are a number of features missing in 8. Features that were important to my workflow such as the Favorites (heart) in the bookmark bar. I rarely use the sidebar and in the previous version it was always hidden, now I have to click on 2 x's to close it every time I launch a new window. I upgraded not because I needed to, I wanted to stay current and support development. I didn't expect a downgrade.

27. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 04:44 PM.

28. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 13 Jul, 2018 04:44 PM

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac