Aliases in the sidebar (PF8; alias icons)

John

22 May, 2018 06:33 PM

I used to put aliases in my sidebar in PF7. Has this feature been removed? It's like the main way I organize my files/folders.

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 07:13 PM.

2. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 31 Jul, 2018 07:13 PM

3. 31 Posted by jcherfas on 01 Aug, 2018 02:55 PM

Still waiting for even an acknowledgement of the email I sent on 22 July asking for a refund.

4. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:29 PM.

5. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 02 Aug, 2018 03:29 PM

6. 32 Posted by John on 02 Aug, 2018 11:41 PM

After spending a couple hours with Finder, I forgot how much I hate it. Can't show/hide invisible files easily, I don't like the cut-and-paste system shortcuts, can't move the "name" column in list view, and there is no button to view trash in the toolbar, nor is there a trash icon on the desktop. I tried out Forklift, which has a dark mode that looks much better than Path Finder. Forklift also allows you to rename items in the sidebar without renaming the actual item, which I love. If Path Finder had that feature, I wouldn't need to put aliases in the sidebar in the first place. Unlike Path Finder, Forklift has a piss-poor integration with Mac (i.e. default file viewer, desktop). Commander One is kind of crazy because it requires two-panes, which I never use. Might try some of the others. Not sure what to do. I might just stick with PF7 indefinitely and ignore the "upgrade to 8" messages.

7. 33 Posted by Russell on 03 Aug, 2018 06:45 AM

John - there is a way to integrate Forklift with the finder - I got these instructions here

https://johnscullen.com/how-to-make-forklift-3-the-default-file-vie...

For me, Forklift is the closest to what I want once PF7 disappears into PF8

Forklift

Default File Viewer

You can set ForkLift 3 as default file viewer, and almost every app (except Desktop) will point to ForkLift when you choose Reveal in Finder, Show in Finder, or Open in Finder options. Paste the following command into Terminal and hit Enter:

defaults write -g NSFileViewer -string com.binarynights.ForkLift-3;
    defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices/com.apple.launchservices.secure LSHandlers -array-add '{LSHandlerContentType="public.folder";LSHandlerRoleAll="com.binarynights.ForkLift-3";}'

Then restart your Mac. The second command is required in order to open folders in ForkLift by pressing Enter in Alfred. 

To change it back to Finder, use the following command then restart your Mac:

defaults delete -g NSFileViewer

If you set ForkLift as the default file viewer and you remove it from your system, Finder will automatically become the default one.

Hope that helps,

8. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:30 PM.

9. Path Finder Support Team re-opened this discussion on 04 Aug, 2018 02:31 PM

10. 34 Posted by John on 07 Aug, 2018 02:55 AM

Thanks for this tip. I actually tried that a few times, and I couldn't get it to work. But when I saw your comment, I gave it a shot once more, and suddenly it seemed to be working. Strange.

But yeah, definitely going to stick with Forklift now. It seems to be able to do everything I need it to do, and it looks way better than Pathfinder.

To be clear, the main reason I'm switching is because the sidebar is highly customizable. Unlike Path Finder, I can add sidebar groups and rename items in the sidebar without renaming the actual item.

11. Path Finder Support Team closed this discussion on 07 Aug, 2018 02:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac